Chapter 44: Birthday present

August was not only the month of Jaemin's but also Mark's birthday.

The NCT members made a big party for Mark, who now became an adult.

Mark was happy that the other members cared about him so much that they would throw a party. But on the other hand Mark was not really in the mood for a party.

His birthday was kind of the final sign for his graduation from NCT Dream.
And Mark didn't want to leave the group.
They were his family. He grew up with them. He didn't want to leave them.

But Mark did his best to enjoy the party.

He got a lot of cute and cool presents.
But Haechan was the devil again. He gifted Mark a bottle of ketchup even though the older didn't like ketchup.

When Mark opened the present in front of everyone, Haechan made them all laugh with it.
Even Mark thought it was funny.

In the end it was a nice party full of laughs and comfort. Mark felt like home and he couldn't be more thankful.

Late in the evening, Mark felt tired and wanted to go home. The Dream schedule was really busy for the next few weeks and he just wanted to relax some more.

The members of NCT 127 and U decided to go to some bar and drink some alcohol. They were still in a party mood, so why not?

Haechan also felt tired, so he joined Mark to go home.

They both got ready to go to bed.
Haechan was finished before Mark, so he waited for the older in his bedroom.

When Mark entered his room, he flinched lighlty. "Oh, you scared me. What are you doing here?", Mark sat down next to the younger on his bed.

"You don't really think the ketchup bottle is the only present you will get from me, do you?", Haechan asked with a teasing smile.

"Mhh", Mark pretended to think. "Actually, I trust you to do something like this."

Haechan laughed and nudged Mark with his elbow. "Shut up."

Mark hummed. "So? What is my other present?"

"I couldn't buy it yet because I wanted you to decide which one you want. But here is a card you can use as a coupon.", Haechan explained and gave Mark a selfmade card with a drawing of a guitar on it.

"Your other gift for me is a guitar?", Mark asked in disbelief.

Haechan nodded. "Well, since your other one is not in the best condition anymore, I thought it would be good to have a new one."

Mark smiled. "Thank you, Haechanie."

And in the next moment, Haechan found himself in a tight hug, which he immediately reciprocated.

When Mark let go, another "thank you" left his lips, which made Haechan smile even more.

"You're welcome", the younger said blushing.

"Actually, there is also another present but since you won't like it anyways, just forget about it.", Haechan said and was about to stand up.

"Hey, you can't just leave like this.", Mark grabbed Haechan's wrist to stop him from leaving.

"No, seriously. You won't like it. I don't know, why I even mentioned it.", Haechan said but sat down nonetheless.

"Tell me", Mark breathed and scooted closer to Haechan.

"You won't like it", Haechan tried again.

"What?", Mark asked stubbornly.

"A kiss", Haechan whispered.

Mark knew that the younger didn't mean a kiss on the lips. And the thought of a kiss on the cheek didn't scare him as much as it should.
Maybe that was the reason, why his next words were

"Go on."

And with that Haechan leaned forward and pressed his lips not on Mark's cheek, how the older expected, but instead on his forehead.

Mark was a little surprised but he didn't mind.
Haechan's lips were soft and for a short second, he asked himself, how they would feel like on his lips.

"That was unexpected", Mark admitted without thinking.

Haechan shrugged. "I know that you hate cheek kisses. So I thought you would prefer this one."

"I don't hate cheek kisses.", Mark said loud. And then in a mumble "at least not yours."

"Good to know", Haechan smirked, surprising the black haired boy, who thought that the younger hadn't heard him.

"We should sleep", Mark said in a try to change the topic.

"I guess you are right", Haechan said and tried to stand up again.

"No", Mark quickly grabbed Haechan's arm again.

"I mean", Mark gulped and- Was that a blush? "Just stay. Let's sleep together?", it sounded more like a question but Haechan resisted to tease the older. The latter already looked nervous enough.

So Haechan smiled and nodded and whispered a "yes, let's sleep together."

But when they lied down and Mark moved closer and hesitantly put his arms around Haechan, the younger couldn't stop the tease from coming over his lips. "Does someone miss cuddling with me?"

"Just shut up", and even though Haechan couldn't see his face, he knew that Mark was smiling.

Haechan put his hands over Mark's and whispered a "good night."

"Good night", Mark whispered back. He was the big spoon and Haechan could feel the older's lips on his ear as he spoke the words.

But he didn't mind being this close. Actually the younger loved it. And a part of him wished it would always be like this.

Soon, they both were deep asleep in each other's arms.

Mark woke up to someone caressing his neck and playing with his ear.

He felt a weight on his chest, but it was a comfortable weight. Giving warmth and comfort.

He slowly opened his eyes and met the ones of the younger.

"I'm sorry", Haechan whispered and retreated his hand.

Mark quickly chased after the hand and started playing with Haechan's finger.

"No, it's okay."

Haechan hummed and snuggled closer.

They were alone in the room.
If the other members didn't came back or slept somewhere else or were already up again, they didn't care.

Mark felt good with Haechan in his arms.

A few days ago this thought would have scared him.
But now, Mark didn't mind.

He didn't know what this all meant.
His feelings were a chaotic mess.

But time would help him figuring it out.
Till then, he just was happy to have the younger by his side.
To have Haechan be there for him.

During the "We Go Up" era, Mark still felt the same.

He was happy to have Haechan and that was all that mattered.

He even would let Haechan become more touchy with him.
He realized, he really liked it, when the younger would caress his neck or played with his ear.

Sometimes he got a feeling close to jealously, when Haechan was too close with the other members.
But Mark would just ignore it.

Mark ignored all his feelings because he didn't want to loose the younger again.

All that mattered was that Haechan was by his side.

No distance anymore. Just Haechan close to him.

Whatever that meant.