Chapter 32: Renjun-ah

"Happy birthday, Renjun-ah", Haechan shouted, as soon as Renjun opened the door.

"Thank you", Renjun said back and smiled.

But when Haechan entered the doorm, Renjun's smile faded.
"Where are the others?", Haechan asked.

"I don't know. They said they have to do some stuff. Like buying new pants or something. You are the only one, who seems really interested in my birthday.", Renjun explained sadly.

"Hey, don't say that. That is probably not true. They are just busy with the whole NCT 2018 comeback. Their mind is a mess and god knows where. They said 'happy birthday', right? Then it should be fine.", Haechan tried to cheer him up.

"I guess", Renjun mumbled, still a little bit sad.

"Okay, so, what do you want to do?", Haechan asked excited on their way to the living room. "Should we, mhh, bake a cake? Play some videogames? Cook something for lunch? Talk about how ridiculous Jeno looked, when he wore that weird hat?"

"I-I don't know. I don't feel like doing anything.", Renjun said quietly.

"Videogames it is", Haechan said and went to the television to turn it on.

Renjun sighed but sat on the couch and took the controller out of Haechan's hand nonetheless.

Haechan was a perfect distraction.
The others gave him this job for a reason.

He had to distract Renjun, while the others were preparing everything for his surprise birthday party.

And Haechan did his job really good.
Renjun really was down, having no clue of what was going on.

"You won....Again", Renjun sighed. "You don't even let me win on my own birthday?"

Haechan scoffed. "Pff, as if. You are not a little child anymore, Renjunie. You should know how to loose", Haechan said teasingly.

"Yeah, yeah. You are as mean as ever, I see", Renjun looked at Haechan, and Haechan could see that his words were meant only playful.

"Oh yeah, so I am mean? I spend the day with you on your birthday and that is what you say to me?", Haechan acted as if he was offended.
"Take that back.", he added and leaned closer to Renjun.

Renjun also leaned closer. "Never."

And in the next moment Renjun was tickled by a not indulgent Haechan.

"Okay, okay. I take it back. I take it back!", Renjun said, while laughing his heart out.

Haechan stopped for a second. "Okay. Thank you", he smiled. "But that won't stop me", and with that he attacked Renjun again.

"What is going on here?", Mark said, when he entered the room.

Haechan immediately let go of Renjun and looked at Mark. "N-nothing", he said nervoulsy.

There was nothing to be nervous about but this is the 'Mark' effect. Or better to say the 'having feelings for Mark' effect.

"Okay", Mark slowly said.
But then he put on his best smile and looked at Renjun. "Happy Birthday, Renjun-ah."

"Thank you", Renjun said and smiled again.

"How about we go eat somewhere. You look hungry and I know the perfect restaurant.", Mark said happily.

"Ehm sure, why not", Renjun agreed. His family was in China and he didn't have any other plans for the day. So this was better than nothing.

"Okay, I will just go quickly to the toilet", Haechan said and left to the bathroom.