The Flayer - Part 2

"Doc?" Ned called out as he held the door of the hospital morgue open so that (Y/n) could enter. Ned smiling as an old man appeared from the office.

(Y/n) had seen more than her fair share of morgues. More than her fair share of doctors that had become desensitised to the horrors they saw every day, and more than her fair share of autopsies; but for some reason, morgues still always gave her to creeps. It wasn't the dead that disturbed her, it was more the thought that each and every body had once been a living, feeling being, with possibly a family and friends that were mourning their loss; and that one day, she herself might be on that cold metal slab being sliced open.

"Doctor Luwin, I would like you to meet Special Agent (Y/f/n) (Y/l/n). She has been sent up by the bureau and will be taking over the investigation into The Flayer murders." Ned told the older man, the doctor looking her up and down as he held out his hand for her to shake.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Special Agent, but you do look a little young. Are you sure that you are up to this?" The doctor asked, looking slightly uncomfortable as (Y/n) crossed her arms defiantly across her chest, and glared at the old man. She knew that she shouldn't let this man get the better of her, that she still had a job to do. But given that it would probably be hours before she even got chance to put her head on the bed in her hotel room, this was the last straw of a very long day.

"Well Doctor, if you doubt my credentials, I will give you a little run down of what I can do. I studied criminology, law, and psychology at college, and graduated top of my class in all three subjects. I have worked for the bureau for a number of years and have made a special study of serial killers. I have an in depths knowledge of their crimes, their methods, and their psychology. I have helped capture and I have interviewed some of the most dangerous men that this country has to offer, and I am the one that the bureau sends in when they want the job done." (Y/n) growled, as the doctor held up his hands in surrender.

"I will consider myself rebuked. You have my apologises Special Agent (Y/l/n). It is more than obvious that you are suitably qualified for the job." Luwin apologised, gesturing over to the doors of the fridge where the remains of the victims were being stored.

"I presume that you are here to view the bodies?" Luwin asked, as he escorted (Y/n) and Ned over to the bank of metal draws.

"Yes. I will also need a copy of all your reports, and any other forensics that have been found. I would also like any photos that were taken." (Y/n) informed the doctor as he opened the door to the first fridge, the draw sliding out slowly to reveal a body covered in a white sheet.

"I'll leave you with the first John Doe, and I will go and retrieve the paperwork for you." Luwin told the pair, as he pulled back the sheet before disappearing back into the office.

(Y/n) looked at the body, at the life that had been cut short for no reason. The man before her seemed like nothing remarkable. He was average height, average build, and average looks. In life he may have been one of those people that just tended to melt into the background, the kind of guy that at a party would have been more like a piece of the furniture than the centre of attention; but (Y/n) knew that looks can be deceiving, and you should never underestimate anyone.

"So, you still have no idea who he, or the others are?" (Y/n) asked Ned, as she pulled on a pair of latex gloves and took a closer look at the injuries on the body.

"No, I'm afraid not. The four here are around the same age, same weight and build, and we think that they may come from some of the more remote villages or they were living on the streets before they met their demise. Each body also shows signs of being restrained before death." Ned said, watching as the woman in front of him seemed to at once be alert to everything that was going on around her, but in the same breath, lost in her own thoughts.

"It looks like he's been peeled like a banana. There doesn't seem to be a nick, a wrong move. Each and every cut is precise. This guy knows what he's doing, and if he's this good with the first victim, he's only gonna get better." (Y/n) told herself quietly. Ned leaning over to try and hear what she was saying.

"So, Special Agent. What do you think?" Ned asked, as (Y/n) turned around and pulled off her gloves.

"I think that I would like to see the other victims, and then I think that I would like a coffee. It's been a long day." (Y/n) said, a slight chuckle in her voice as Ned gave her an understanding smile.

                                                              >>------------------------------<<

"So, what do you think?" Ned asked, as he placed a large cup of coffee in front of (Y/n). (Y/n) breathing in deeply, as she let the aroma of the much needed beverage fill her senses.

"Well, we have our four basic types of serial killers." (Y/n) said, as she got up from her seat and made her way to the white board on the office wall, and as she spoke, she wrote. Ned listening with interest as she began to explain.

"First, we have the Thrill Seekers. These guys love outsmarting the cops, they enjoy attention from the media, and being pursued by the authorities. They keep detailed records of their crimes and plan everything in advance. They love the thrill of the chase, the euphoric adrenaline rush that comes from stalking their prey. They are often perfectionist and extremely narcissistic. Now, we can't say that this guy isn't in this category but seeing that there hasn't been any correspondence between the killer and either you or the press, we'll just leave that as an option. Second, we have the Mission-orientated killers. These guys believe that they are doing society a favour by ridding it of certain people that they think that society could do without. Now, the killer might believe that society is better off without these guys, that if they are indeed homeless then he might think that he is cleaning up the streets for the good of everyone. Thirdly, we have the Visionary killers. These guys occasionally suffer psychological breaks from society, they kill because they believe that the Devil or God told them to commit the crimes. Finally, we have the Power and Control killers. These guys enjoy their victim's terror, they enjoy their suffering and screaming, and they tend to be very well organised. Many have a history of childhood abuse which has left them feeling powerless and inadequate as adults, and a lot of these guys sexually abuse their victims. Now, I can't say that our guy experienced this, but given what Doctor Luwin has reported, their seems to be no sexual aspect to the crimes. For me, our guy just likes to watch his victims squirm." (Y/n) told Ned, as she moved back to the seat across the desk from the Captain, who was stating at her intently.

"Flaying is actually an ancient method of execution, and a number of cultures were known to practice it. The victims are stripped, their hands and feet bound to stop movement. Then the executioner would slash at the skin with a very sharp knife, a then peel away the flesh from the muscle. The procedure leaves not only the muscles, but also the nerves exposed, resulting in excruciating pain. So, if the shock doesn't kill the victim, then blood loss, or hypothermia will." (Y/n) continued, as she took a sip of the hot liquid from the cup in front of her.

"What does that give us?" Ned asked, as he leant back in his chair, more certain than ever that the bureau had sent them the right person for the job.

"I would say that we have a well organised and highly skilled power and control killer. He enjoys taking his time with his victims, delights in their suffering. I'd say, that given the time that he needs to do his job properly, he lives somewhere out of the way, somewhere where he's not going to be interrupted. And I'd also say that we haven't seen the last of his victims." (Y/n) told Ned, rubbing her eyes as the pressure of the day finally got the better of her.

"What do ya say to picking this up in the morning, (Y/n)? I'll get one of the boys to drive you to the hotel." Ned said, standing up and holding out his arm so that he could help (Y/n) from her seat.

"Let's face it. This guy ain't going anywhere is he." Ned stated a small smile on his lips as he escorted (Y/n) out of the office.