Chapter 46: Jace

I walked into the cafe with Damian following behind. I looked around, trying to see whether Jace was already here or not. I didn't notice him. I turned to look at Damian who seemed to be busy looking for Jace as well.

"Let's sit and wait for him" I suggested. He gave me one curt nod before taking my hand in his. I stared at our interlinked hands. I could feel a spark igniting inside of me. He gave a little squeeze, making raise my hand to look at him. He smiled, making me internally swoon.

"Come on" He said and we made our way to a table which was situated in the corner of the Café. I sat down on a comfortable bench. Damian sat next to me.

"What if someone takes a picture of us and it ends in the papers?" I asked out of the blue. He shrugged, giving me a grin as he turned to look at me.

"Your sister is married to my brother. We're bound to meet at times" He responded smartly.

"Yeah. Bound to meet but not bound to fuck in a car" I said, a smirk playing on my lips after I ran my tongue on them to moist them. His eyes followed the movement of my lips. Just as he was about to talk, we noticed someone's presence. We rose out heads to see a cute guy, standing in front of us with menu cards in his hands.

"Good evening. I'm Jerry and I'll be your waiter " He said with a bright smile. His smile seemed to be somehow contagious as I smiled back at him. "This is the menu cards and once you've ordered, I'll be here to take your order" He continued. I nodded and watched as he walked away.

"Stop smiling" I heard Damian demand. What? I stared at him as if he lost his mind. Well, seems like he did.

"Why?" I questioned and watched as he opened at the menu cards and glared at whatever there were inside.

"I'm sorry for being late" We both rose our heads to see a drenched Jace standing in front of us. Damian motioned him to sit on the other bench which was in front of us after they shook hands. "I'm glad you came along" Jace said with a polite smile on his face. Gone was the frustrated Jace that I saw earlier. He seemed to be back to his dual usual self, except the tight fake smile. It was most probably due to the fact that Rose left and now he's missing her.

"What did you want to know?"I asked, my tone cold and formal. That man, sitting in front of me, hurt my best friend and I wanted to know why. And why was he so keen to get her back after hurting her? Maybe he regretted?

"Where is Rose?" He asked. I could see an unknown emotion swim in his eyes.

"Why?" I asked, taking notes of his body language and his little behaviors. Being a psychology student, all these little details were important to decipher a person. I could feel Damian's eyes on me. But right now, this whole situation between Jace and Rose was my priority.

"I did a mistake" Jace sighed. "I shouldn't have left her that night" he rose his head to look at me. No regrets seemed to be present. He was saying those words without actually meaning them.

"But you did. You left her. She was drunk. She was drunk in the park" I told him, trying to control the anger that was slowly coming. "She could have been attacked" I told him.

"Athena was attacked that night" Damian told him. Jace stared at him in confusion.

"After we've put Rose in the car, I went back to where she was to get her bag and someone attacked me" I explained. Jace stared at me, and after a few minutes, his eyes widened.

"And are you okay?" Jace asked while staring at me, trying to see if I was bruised somewhere.

"Yeah, I am" I told him. I motioned to my arm, where the attacker had slashed it. "He cut my arm with a knife" I told him, my voice cracking a little bit as I realized how serious this was. I finally turned to look at Damian. Now I understood why he was worried about me. This situation was a lot more serious than what I thought. "This could have been Rose" I told Jace when I turned my attention back to him.