chapter 3-run

Ashley's p.o.v

My wolf wants to run to him, but I want to laugh. My mate is the next alpha of the Midnight pack, Christian Sebastian. He has brown hair that is the perfect length for a guy and icy blue eyes. Even though we went to different high schools, I was only second most popular with him first. Every week another girl talks about how they hooked up over the weekend. I laugh every time because werewolves, especially males, don't hook-up with humans and only the human girls talked about Christian like he is a god. We werewolves never dated at all. We like to stay pure for our mate. It makes the marking and bonding more special.
"Chris, where are you baby?!" Some girl yelled.
Baby? I look back at him. He has a look of shame and worry all over his face. I take off running. My wolf is growling.  I don't know if at me or him. Maybe those stories were true. He has a girlfriend.  He won't want me. Do I want him? Of course, just not now. I finally stop running. A pitch black wolf jumps in front of me. My wolf yips with happiness. I guess she was mad at me. I shift back to my human form. He does too.
"Why are you following me?" I snap.
"Why did you run?"
I laugh.
"What's so funny?" He asks.
"You."
"I don't understand. "
He looked hurt.
"Your girlfriend calls you and I leave but then you ask why I ran off."
"She's not my girlfriend.  I appreciate some things like purity, my mate, and my wolf."
His wolf? What does his wolf have to do with anything?
"Excuse me, I appreciate all of those things."
"Yea right," he remarks snidely.
"What does that mean?"
"I've been told that you don't appreciate your wolf, that you would rather be a human than a werewolf."
That hurt. I felt tears coming up. I would hurt whoever told him that even if he is an alpha. I turn and run back to the party leaving him there.