chapter 49 - food war

Kalin's p.o.v.

"Here," James says as he hands me a picture that is black and white.
There are three tiny blobs. Three? I hand the picture over to Christian.
"I don't see anything," he says.
I point out the blobs while he mutters something along the line of always seeing them.
"Why are there three blobs though? Is something wrong with the baby?" I ask in a worries tone.
Have I not been careful enough? Have I ate any bad foods lately? I'm pretty sure I haven't. Did the baby split into pieces because of the magic Cailleach has still on me? It's not possible for a baby to split, right?
"Yes and no. The baby is fine except for having to share everything with the other two," James chuckles out.
"Other two? I don't understand," Christian says.
"Triplets?" I question in a whisper.
James bobs his head up and down.
"I can barely take care of one, but now three. I-I can't do this," I stutter out.
I start to cry. I could maybe protect one from Lida, but three? That would be impossible.
"What is wrong with three? It just means three times the fun. Please don't cry baby," Christian coos as he wraps me in a hug.
"I promise that I will help. Their daddy will always be there for you and them. I will protect you all."
"I know."
And he will, but how can he possibly understand? He isn't the one carrying the next generation, whose world was flipped upside down, who dreams got thrown out, who doesn't belong where she is safe, and belongs in a place where she can never have these types of moments. My stomach growls, I need food. I sniffle up the years and push Christian away. I look up and see only a hint of hurt, which can only be expected. The pity he shows is what takes me back. Why does he pity me? Only I should pity myself. I stick my chin up, I can't show weakness in front of anyone.
"Luna, is something wrong?" James asks.
"Just hormones plus pregnancy plies teenager equals crazy, right?"
He laughs.
"Exactly," he replies.
I try to hand the photo back. It feels like I'm rejecting my children in a way. James shakes his head.
"They aren't mine. Keep it," he says as he leaves.
I whisper a thank you. The door clicks shut. Almost automatically there is a yay on the other side. I laugh at his happiness, but also become confused because this can't be the first time he helped his Alpha and Luna with a pregnancy.
"Crazy man," Christian says.
"What makes him crazy?"
"He mostly sees one baby, there has been like two cases with twins, but only one Luna in the entire world has had triplets. You really are one in a million Kalin, no you Are the only one like you."
I blush at his comment. I remember when Theo and Jasmyn first found out that they were each other's mate and they were always saying sweet nothings to the other. I promised myself that I would never do that at all. I laugh at myself now. Christian gives me a confused look.
"It's nothing, other than the fact that I have learned that I can't keep promised that I make toward myself."
"Oh."
My stomach growls again, but louder this time.
"Feed them!" James tells through the door.
Christian and I both laugh. I jump off the bed and grab Christian's hand. He opens the door and Carolina is right in the door frame. She has her fist raised as if she was about to knock on the door.
"M-my dad s-said that I wo-would w-want to t-talk to you g-guys," she stutters outs.
"Did he say about what," Christian asks.
He has put his macho face and attitude back on.
"N-no."
"Stop being Mr. Bossy pants Christian. Would you like to eat lunch with us Carolina?" I ask in a stern but calm tone.
I really wish that she says yes. I hope my greenness doesn't make her want to run away.
"S-sure."
"Try not to stutter honey, you seem a lot more confident when you don't stutter like that."
"Yes ma'am."
"You don't have to call me ma'am. I guess motherly instincts and what not is kicking in. I bet that I why I called you honey. You are almost two years younger than me, so it's not like I have an actual reason to call you honey. Why am I babbling? I'm going to stop now."
I suck in a breath and give a small laugh.
"Its okay that you call me honey. I actually like it. Momma always called me 'you' or 'brat'. Sometimes it was my real name, but that usually meant I was in trouble. I know that I am babbling now, but I can't make it stop. I'm just glad that the stuttering is gone for now. Drake says that it always makes him think that he did something bad because I always stuttered around Momma."
She inhaled a deep breath looks around at everything except Christian and me. I wish there was something I could do for her, but I don't have a time machine. There has to be a reason that Celene did this to such an amazing girl. I need to figure it out as soon as possible. We all walk into the kitchen to see sandwich stuff, chips, and just about every other kind of food thrown every where.
"What in the world happened in here?" I ask on the verge of yelling.
"Good war," Jasmyn says in a questioning voice.
"Is that a question or statement?" I ask getting more angry by the second
"Statement?" she squeaks out.
"Are you sure?"
"I think."
"Who started this?!"
Everyone points at someone else. I huff. I can't believe that I was worried children when that is what this pack is made up of.
"Just clean up this mess. When you're done, tell me so I can make me lunch."
I'll make you some, you just go somewhere that I can keep an eye on you. I hear Christian say.
Fine. I'm going to lay down in the living room.
As soon as I get settled on the couch, I feel my eyes start to close.