chapter 62 - after math

Christian's p.o.v.

She left me. Not just a little bit, but completely and utterly. My mate left me without a second thought. Alec and Moon start to cry. I look around the once beautiful yard. It's now covered by bodies, blood, and ashes. I feel the tears fall down my cheeks.

"it's okay, I miss them too," I whisper.

I hear someone snap a twig behind me in the woods. I spin; only about thirty members of the pack are there.

"Where is everyone else?" I ask.

"Dead," James answers.

My heart drops into my stomach made of stones. How is this possible? I'm a horrible Alpha. I failed at everything: at protecting my pack, my family, keeping the enemy away, and so so more. What can I do to make this better? I look at the survivors to see their faces filled with horror as they stare at all of the bodies. Someone shouts mom. I watch as Carolina runs from the small pack. I don't look at her as everyone already knows which body she intends to go to.

"What happened?" Andre asks in bewilderment.

"She left me."

"Who?"

"She did."

"The Luna did? Where did she go?"

"She left me."

"Where to?"

"Home. She left me to go home."

"She's in the house?"

"No! You're not listening to me, she left me!"

My babies start to cry louder. What have I done? I look at my pack once again to see fear in their eyes. They are afraid of me? What kind of Alpha am I if I make my pack, my family, afraid of me?

"Take Moon and Alec," I command.

Jasmyn steps forward and takes them quickly, afraid I will hurt them or even her.

"Where is Brody?" she asks.

"He's, he's..."

I can't finish my sentence. No one should say what I have to. Her expression of shock tells me that she knows.

"No, he was just a baby!"

I feel my water works coming back, but this time will be full blast. Before anyone can see me actually cry, I turn into my wolf; letting Chason out. I run full speed away from everyone and everything.

----------------------------3 hours later----------------------------

I trot up to the front door before turning human once again. Although the bodies are gone, the smell of blood is still strong. It fills my nostrils as if it has come alive and is trying to suffocate me with a think wool blanket. I shudder at the thought of this type of horrible death. I take a deep breath and attempt to shake of my nerves. I open the door and walk in. Instantly hit with the feeling of relief from the pack is quickly turned into anger. They are probably thinking the same thing: how could our Alpha leave us? Unfortunately I don't have an answer. I wasn't trying to leave them, but leave just like Kalin did. After about an hour, I turned around. I couldn't leave all of this behind. I promised to watch and protect these people with everything I have, to lay down my life for them. This is why we have second and third in command, so if something happens to me then they can take control. No one else will die to protect me.

The first person I see is Jasmyn and Carolina. They are trying to console each other. Jasmyn jumps up and smacks me in this face,l surprisingly hard. I touch my now wounded cheek feeling the puffiness of it. 

"I know that you are my Alpha and I'm just the Delta, but you left. Kalin isn't coming back, don't try to look for her. You are meant to be here, not with her," she snaps at me.

"She was your best friend, how can you just let her go?"

"She told us that she would have to leave forever to protect us, I came to terms with this then. I miss her, but I have duties and so do you."

I nod my head. I look at Carolina. Her eyes are red and bloodshot. She has been doing some hardcore crying. Why didn't Jaz take away her pain? She just lost her mom after getting her back. James should be here for her.

"Where is James?" I ask aloud.

"Watching the children, including your two," Carolina answers.

"How many kids are there in total then?"

"About ten."

"Who?"

"Alec, Moon, Emma, David, Dylan, Kayla, Harley, Will, Haley, and Ariel."

"Their parents?"

The parents of siblings Kayla, David, and Will are dead; the mother of Dylan is still alive; Emma and Harley still have their dad; Haley's parents are dead; and Ariel only has her grandfather who is severely injured. It's said that he might not make it to tomorrow."

"Have Dylan's mother watch all of them. I must speak to James."

Carolina runs off to give these new messages out.

"What are you planning? Jasmyn asks.

"Go get Andre," I command without answering her question.

She leaves with a huff. We need to move to a new structure until the smell is gone, which will only be a few days. A body count also needs to be recorded. If I can get in contact with another Alpha, then he can help us tremendously. James,m Andre, and Jasmyn show up at the same time.

"Do you have your head on now?" Andre asks. 

"No, but I do have a plan and it's crazy; but it's also our only hope at survival."

---------------------30 minutes later---------------------

"That's stupid," Andre states first.

"Yes and no," Jaz sides with me.

"Thank you Jaz, what do you think James?"

"Honestly?"

"Yes."

"I think that I shouldn't be here. I am the pack doctor, not in command. Other than that, I think that it might work."

"But there is not a chance that one we find a new witch and two that we get help from the Moon Goddess or Kalin. She left us all, remember?" Andre says.

"Which is why you are being put into the temporary Alpha position. If we do get a hold of everything that is needed and what not, then Kalin could send some sort of help and I would have full closure of us separating to where I can properly run this pack."

"But what if she persuades you to stay?" Jaz asks.

"If I'm not back in about a month, then that is where James comes in. He would become the oldest member of our pack, correct?"

James nods. The werewolf hunters got to the oldest wolves first.

"He would become the elder council with you two, and he would be able to make Andre the full time Alpha."

There is a moment of silence.

"What about Alec and Moon if you never come back?" Jasmyn whispers out.

"I need you all to promise me that you keep Kalin, Brody, and I a secret from them two. Andre, they will be like your children. I can only find it right that Alec still become Alpha when he is of age."

"He being Alpha is the only way I see it happening," Andre states.

"They will find out eventually," Jaz says.

"Not if every trace disappears," James replies.

"We tell everyone and start it all tomorrow," I command.