chapter 48 - the ultrasound

Christian's p.o.v.

I smile brightly at the thought Kalin is no longer angry at me. Once we walk into the office, only Carolina is sitting at a small reception desk.
"Why are you here?" Kalin asks softly.
I'm betting that she has learned that Carolina is extremely timid. I hope Drake is able to break her out of this shell she has put herself in. She used to be peppy and bouncy, it then her mom -or the woman who has supposed to- started to beat her. Carolina used her wolf to heal fast so nobody saw the bruises. The only problem is that she is the omega so they wouldn't heal completely. One day Drake saw her beating Carolina, he told everyone and so the decision to kick her out was made. Her father, who is always working, was most shocked that his mate could do something so cruel, nut it only proved the fact that we do not know everything about our mate's and how they will act. Carolina said the beating went on for almost three years, when she was turning twelve. Her birthday marked an entire year free of that woman's fists.
"I work here now with Dad," she states proudly.
She turn her attention to doctorly things to keep her mind busy. She is so good at it that she might take over for her dad one day.
"Dad?" Kalin questions.
"Baby, she is James' daughter," I whisper in her ear.
"Ohh."
"Yea. It is thrilling yet exhausting. He tells about all these stories about learning about pregnancies and saving Alphas, but he is usually working late that he almost never comes home until about three in the morning."
"Home? Don't you live here, in the pack house I mean?"
Kalin is sure full of questions today.
"No, we love in a little house about two miles away from here."
"Oh."
"I like the little house though. Momma let me decorate it all by myself, then Dad made me redecorate it again after Momma left. I had a blast with it."
"What happened to your mom?"
"She was forced to leave. She used to...um...abuse me. If she could come up with a reason, then she did. She was always happy but then she had a miscarriage, and we'll the rest is history."
I let my jaw drop. This is the most she has ever spoken with anyone around. She looks down.
"I'm sorry for saying all of that. You shouldn't have to worry about me or any of that anymore," she whispers.
Kalin let goes of my hand and goes around the desk. She gently cups Carolina's face.
"Don't ever say that again. You are still a child and no mother should ever lay her hands on her child like that. You are stronger than you think. I don't think this but know it. You were willing to take her wrath without telling a soul and you hold no hate toward her now. You are smart, you are kind, and you are beautiful in your own way. Do not forget this Carolina," Kalin says in a soft yet stern voice.
A small year falls down Carolina's cheek. They embrace in a hug that screams "protect me."
The office door opens and James comes out.
"What did I miss?"
"Nothing much, Carolina to ally spoke about her. She is letting herself grow I to her own skin," I say in a calm voice.
"It's about time," he huffs out.
We all stay in our positions for a minute or two until James tells us that we should go in now. Once James shuts the door I plop into a really soft and fluffy chair.
"I didn't know she had such a hard past. I thought she was naturally quiet," Kalin speaks softly.
"No, she taught herself to be that way, how to just shut down everything. I wish I knew about it all. I could've stopped it from ever happening," James replies.
"I am sorry for you as well. She was your mate and you chose to leave her for the sake of your daughter. It still must have been extremely hard. I know I could not have done that," I say as I look at Kalin.
She automatically smiles back.
"No worries. I actually got a letter from her about six months ago telling me that she got a witch to remove her wolf from her. She said it didn't hurt her at all because she is only half blood. Her wolf is now running freely wherever it pleases to go. When she removed her wolf, I was no longer tied to her. It made it to where only memories can haunt me. Unfortunately Carolina holds onto her still by motherly love."
"I didn't k ow you could remove the two," Kalin whispers.
"Get the right witch and you can."
What if we found that witch and get her to take out Lisa's wolf? I hear Kalin say in my mind.
Let's talk about this later and enjoy the ultrasound for now? Please?
She buffs. Both James and I turn to state at her.
"Are you okay Luna?" James asks.
"Of course James. It is just all of this talk is saddening."
She plasters on a big smile. James instantly believes it and sends it back. Her smile is almost enough to persuade me that she didn't just ask the question. Take her sister's wolf away? I don't think I could live without my wolf and she just wants to swipe away so edging that is supposed to be a part of us. I admit that it would help us in the end, but it just does not seem right.
"Shall we get started?" James questions as he claps his hands together.
"Yes please. I am starving," Kalin says with a giggle.
"Well if you're a good patient then I'll give you a sucker," James replies.
It laugh at this as Kalin shouts a woo-hoo. She is already sitting on the bed with a weird machine next to it.
"If you will just lay down Luna then I can apply the jelly. It's to help with friction of the transducer."
"The what-er?" I ask.
"The transducer. It is this microphone looking thing in my hand. It helps sendoff waves that let you see the baby and there is usually an irritating sound."
Kalin lifts up her shirt just enough to expose her barely popping belly. I growl as James smoothers this jelly looking thing on her.
"If you are going to growl then I am going to kick you out," Kalin says sternly.
I whine a small whine now. Kalin laughs at me.
"Don't whine either. You are making it hard to concentrate on anything."
I huff and cross my arms.
"Then what am I supposed to do?"
"As harsh as it might sound Alpha, I usually do kick out the male here because of the touching part. So most of the time I have no idea what they do. It takes five minutes to complete it. I usually let the female clean off her abdomen as I put together all of the information and that is when the male usually comes in," James softly says as if not to irritate me.
"I am staying right here."
"Okay Mr. Bossy pants," Kalin says with a giggle.
"I'm not bossy."
"Yes you are."
"No."
"Yea."
"Listen to your Alpha when I say no."
"Listen to your Luna when I say yea."
I growl at her stubbornness and she playfully growls back.
"Why are you so stubborn and I'm not bossy."
"Because I can be and yes you are. You are even being bossy over if you are or are not bossy, Mr. Bossy pants."
"Can I interrupt you two to tell you that I am done with the main part. I am going to print off pictures and look over everything. Here is a towel to wipe off the gel."
Names quickly passes through us. As soon as he leaves Kalin sticks her tongue out.
"That is so mature," I grumble.
"I know."
She laughs.
"Aren't you in a good mood."
"Of course I am silly. You are here."
The butterflies in my stomach flip. That is such a girly thing to think. I feel my cheeks heat up slightly.
"You are too adorable," she squeals out.
"Why adorable?" I whine.
"What else am I supposed to call you?"
"Hot. Sexy. The man of your dreams. Take your pick."
The door opens quickly and in steps James. He wears the biggest smile I have seen in a long time.