Corn Maze

-Description: You and Spencer are married. You have two beautiful children. As fall activity, you all decided to find your way out of a corn maze.
-Warnings: Fluffiness, angst, having children
-Word count: 1231
-Note: Happy Halloween! I hope everyone has a great holiday, full with spooky activities. Be scary!🎃
_________________________

Y/N POV:

We all knew, my husband has a special love for the autumn season. He loved everything about it. From the pretty leaves, falling from the colored trees, till the scary costumes, everyone wore on Halloween.

When our beautiful son got born, Spencer made sure he got the best autumn experiences. When he got older, and was able to fully understand the concept, we made it a tradition to go trick or treating every year. Just like we made it a tradition to visit the local farm, with all kinds of fall fun.

Only two years after the birth of our son, we got blessed again with another pregnancy. This time, I gave birth to a beautiful daughter.

Years passed by, making (Y/S/N) now 6 and (Y/D/N) 4. It was mid October, time to live up to one of our traditions. The local farm.

We enjoyed the whole afternoon, doing hay rides, eating delicious food, and just general fall fun. There was only one thing left, Spencer would love to do. The corn maze.

The corn maze was nothing new for (Y/S/N), as we had did it the last two years. But, for (Y/D/N), it was a complete new experience. The two last years, I had always stayed with our daughter, while Spencer and (Y/S/N), tried to find their way out of the maze. She was far too young to understand the concept, but this year, she would be old enough to actually enjoy it.

'Daddy, are we going to the corn maze again?' our oldest asked, with hope in his voice.

'What's a corn maze?' (Y/D/N) her face lights up from curiously, while Spencer squatted down to be on her eye level.

'It's a game, where you need to find your way out of the maze. Sometimes, there are paths that don't go the right way, so you need to go back and try again. It's really fun.' he explained, before adding the question.

'Sweetheart, would you like to go through the corn maze with me?'

I wasn't surprised, she doubted it. The corn stalks were much taller than her, and the thought of getting stuck in a big maze, is pretty scary. I don't know if it was the excitement of her dad, or the enthusiastic people, entering the maze, but it gave her enough courage to nod, with a smile on her face.

'Let's make it a game!' (Y/S/N) exclaimed, getting more excited.

'What do you mean, honey?' I asked him, noticing immediately the spark in his eyes.

'Let's race in teams. I'll go with mom and (Y/D/N) goes with dad. Who first find their way out, wins.' I locked eyes with my husband, both agreeing with the idea.

'That's a great idea!'

Only seconds later, we were standing in front of the big maze. We wished each other goodluck, before taking both different ways. The game has started.
__________________________

Spencer's POV:

While my wife and son took the other way, I stayed still with (Y/D/N) for a moment. Her eyes were scanning the corn maze, trying to get adjusted to the new concept.

'Do you think we can win from mommy and (Y/S/N)?' she nodded, more secure now, and began running ahead of me. I started walking faster, aware that I needed to be on guard the whole time.

'Wait, slow down!' she stopped her tracks, waiting for me to catch fully up.

'Stay where I can see you. I don't want you to get lost.' she nodded, walking now slower.

We arrived at a crossroad, as she paused her steps, deciding which way to go. She ended up choosing left. This went on for a while, making her way through the paths. When she would hit a wall, she knew to turn back and try another way.

I was always able to catch up with her, but eventually she turned a corner too quickly in her excitement, as result I lost sight of her. I wasn't in panic yet, but quickened my pace, turning immediately around the corner. Unfortunately, there was a group of people, making it much harder to have a full sight of the path. When the group of people were finally gone, (Y/D/N) was nowhere to be seen.

Now, I was starting to panic. It was getting later and later in the afternoon, making the pathways darker and darker. I kept screaming out her name, hoping desperately for her to hear. But nothing.

I was running my way through the paths, looking after every corner, until I finally heard cries echoing from just a few feet away.

'(Y/D/N)?' turning the corner, I saw our little girl, crying and shaking, with pure fear in her eyes. She was sitting curled up, her arms wrapped tightly around her legs.

'Daddy!' she cries, while making her way into my arms.

Relief washed over the both of us, as I lifted her up and hugged her tight.

'It's okay, I'm here. You're safe.'

'I couldn't find you anymore! I called for you, but you didn't hear me. It was so scary. Daddy, where were you?'

Those words broke my heart a little more. I tried to soothe her, holding her close.

'I was looking for you. But, you ran off too quickly and I couldn't see you anymore. That's why I told you to stay close to me, sweetheart. You have to be careful, okay?' she nodded in understanding, tears still running down her cheeks.

'I'm sorry! I didn't meant to get lost. I thought, you were right behind me.'

'I know, sweety. It's okay. I'm not mad, you just scared me when I couldn't find you. But, you did so good by staying on the same spot. Just like me and mommy told you to do when you get lost. That's how I was able to find you. I'm so proud of you!'

She calmed a bit down after that. Her cries lessened, but her grip on my shirt stayed.

'Are you okay?'

'Y-yes.' I wiped the remaining tears off her cheeks, and placed a kiss on her head.

'Alright, let's find our way out of here. If we're with mommy and your brother again, then we can head out for a treat.' her eyes light up by the mention of a treat, but she still was clenched to my shirt, not ready yet to let go. But, I hadn't the intention to let go of her either.
__________________________

We eventually made it out of the corn maze, my wife and son patiently waiting for us to come out. When (Y/D/N) spotted her mother, she immediately took off, running into her arms. (Y/N) quickly lifted her up, hugging her tightly. She gave me a worried look, guessing what had happened. I reassured her, causing her to calm down.

It was a scary late afternoon, but luckily we ended it with something more positive. Candy.