6 - 'Don't sleep'

Ghost's reaction to whoever was out there worried you, since when was your Lieutenant Ghost afraid? That's what was more unsettling to you. You could barely feel the alcohol in your system in the moments as the flashlight and footsteps got closer to you both.

You and Ghost both watched their combat boots pass, thumping along the cafeteria floor. You watched them come, pause, and go. Ghost was pushing back against you, so he wasn't near the end of the table and the flashlight missed by mere inches. 

Cramped against the booth seat. You both relaxed as whoever it was walked away upon finding nothing.

A sudden hiccup from your lips escaped and you slapped your hand over your mouth with wide eyes.

The footsteps stopped in their tracks. Ghost shot you a murderous glare, if this person wasn't going to kill you Ghost certainly would. The footsteps started walking back at a faster pace.

You looked at Ghost who leaned his head back as if bracing himself for something annoying.

"BOO!"

You squealed as the person suddenly appeared with the flashlight held under their chin before, squeezing your eyes shut. Out of all the things you expected it was. not. that. You heard a deep laughing and opened your eyes as Ghost sighed.

"Hey Soap" Ghost spoke, not making eye contact as Soap laughed. 

You looked between the two. "Who's this frightened one?" Soap said with a chuckle, shining the flashlight into your eyes, the white beams made you recoil like a vampire to sunlight. "Oh god - Ghost is she drunk or high?" Soap asked, still shining the flashlight in your eyes despite your arms trying to shield them.

"Drunk," Ghost said as he climbed out from under the table.

 You crawled out behind him, straying away from the flashlight beam. 

"Ghost I've told you just because I check the cafeteria each night doesn't mean I'm going to let you get away with it" Soap chuckled and roughly patted Ghost's back.

'Wait - so Ghost knew who was coming, they didn't need to hide?' You wondered. You looked up at Ghost, your body once again failed to keep you stable, and you leaned against the table for support. 

"I - am. nooot. drunk." You said slowly trying to sound convincing, to no avail. Soap returned your statement with a laugh.

He shined the flashlight up and down your body as you squinted from the brightness. "What the hell happened?" Soap asked as he saw the state of your uniform as well as your face. 

"Fight" Ghost replied with a shrug, stepping past Soap and heading back towards the counters.

"Fight?" Soap repeated following Ghost.

 "Fight" Ghost confirmed. You wobbled behind them as you walked. 

"Fight," you said quietly, feeling left out that they got to say fight and you didn't. They both turned to you as you stumbled along behind them.

"I knew I heard someone in here" Soap went on, grabbing the bottle of water off the counter. "This gave it away for one - but then Ghost doesn't usually hide when I come in so when he was gone I got suspicious" He smirked at Ghost

"I wondered if he'd brought someone down," Soap said, emphasizing 'someone' as he raised an eyebrow. 

Ghost sighed, "That's exactly why I hid - because I knew you'd make that assumption." 

Soap chuckled shining the flashlight in Ghost's eyes Despite the subtle illumination from the back kitchen that lit the area, he was just annoying Ghost.