47 - Reflections

You narrowed your eyes, letting your gun drop. You grabbed his arm, turning it and checking his badges. "Jasper" you spoke, more to yourself.

"...'Rory'...." He said slowly.

'Ghost online, Caltex location, copy?' Ghosts voice came through your earpiece.

You pulled your mic down, eyes on Jasper. "Ground floor, west east entry, over" You mutter back. Jasper's stance is relaxed, your muscles are tense, but the day's events are catching up quickly and your ability to care and question doesn't make an appearance.

Two others are located around the room, clearly not threatened by your presence. They all wear matching uniforms and their badges contrast against the dark gear. You glare at Jasper but turn nonetheless rushing back for the exit. You glance over your shoulder once only to find Jasper gone.

You run outside to find Ghost close by. 'Caltex out, over' he speaks into his mic.

You jog towards him as he turns towards the forest. You follow him deeper in, finding the team with Kendrick and Kai. You glance at them all, your team doesn't show an ounce of fear, wild focus deep within their eyes.

You admire their talent to switch so quickly. Turning into merciless killers who do their job without hesitation. Kai and Kendrick are handling themselves better than you thought.

---

You drive quickly despite there being no need to rush back to yours. Kai and Kendrick both sit in the back, and you answer their questions to ease the fear in their eyes.

You tell Kendrick he did a good job, and that Kai did well withstanding what he explains happened. You were right, the new kid was only a distraction.

Kai said he had taken him to the back of the school because he was 'interested' in what it looked like only to be snatched up by who he thought were the staff of the school.

You asked Kai about Jasper, only to have him confirm what Kendrick had told you. You took them both back to your place, arriving first due to your fast driving.

Once inside you tossed the keys on to the counter and helped Kai in, double checking him for injuries. His question to have a blunt only making you smile.

While Kendrick rolled him one you took a look at his injuries better. You found that it calmed them both when you spoke about what you did for work or who you really were, finding it weird enough to point out.

"You know when you're interested about something? Like cats, and you just listen whenever you hear a cat mentioned?" Kai asks.

"I guess" you say slowly trying to relate to what he means.

"Well. You're very intriguing, you had us tricked, we just thought it was funny the things you said sometimes" Kai explains.

Kendrick nods, agreeing. You press your lips into a thin line and get up. "I'm not sure I understand but I'll just act like I do." You say which earns a smile.

You're not really sure how to tend to your emotions towards them either. After spending years alone and without much interaction or need socialize for humanity, there comes a point where you don't know.

As someone who's always struggled to express, you struggle to understand yourself as well. It becomes a challenge to identify what you feel and it's frustrating.

You can fill the void with anything, alcohol, drugs, sleep but in the end it's only ever a temporary fix and when it's a new day you reset like some type of robot. You can't tell if being back at your home helps.