42 - 'Rory Love'

"Next turn" you mutter watching as you approach the driveway.

Kai turns onto the gravel driveway, starting the long drive up it. Small clinks of stone flicking up against the side of the car.

"What's with the long ass driveway" He laughs. You force yourself to laugh back as you shrug. The forest surrounding the driveway on both sides blocks view of the lake.

Kai follows up slowly until the house comes into view. He lets out a whistle. "You're self-conscious bout this?" He says while coming to a stop.

"Well, I didn't exactly say that" you mumble unbuckling your seatbelt.

He comes around your side of the car with a smile, the windows lit up with bright lights. There's a slight breeze that shakes the trees.

He follows you up the curved concrete steps and you open the double doors at the front of the house, keeping it open for him.

"Home" you call out as you walk into the open space, throwing your bag on the counter as footsteps head over. "Friends here" you add just in case.

You lean against the counter looking towards the hallway as your team emerge. "How was school?" Price asks looking at you.

You nod, "yeah good."

He turns to Kai and gives a smile, "Kai, nice to see you again."

"You too cat dad" Kai chuckles with a small nod.

"Uh this is my father's assistant .. Warren? .. Warren yeah and uh, this is my uncleee.. uh, uncle ... we just, we call him uncle" you shrug, introducing Ghost and Soap.

"The mask is cool" Kai says while shaking Ghosts hand. He's replied to with a hum.

"Kais parents aren't home at the moment so he's here for the time being" you say even though you had messaged it.

"Any idea when they'll be back?" Price asks Kai.

"I'd say an hour or so, I'll get a message" Kai smiles.

"Rook-oorry mind if I see you in the office?" Soap asks. You nod, leaving Kai with the others as you follow Soap.

Once in the office he shuts the door. "Okay so we know our targets, and we're acting on the mission tomorrow. Your job is to keep Kai at school and escort him to and forth, just to keep him safe."

You raise your eyebrows. "That's really good news" you say.

"Yeah, tomorrow's Thursday so we'll be home on Friday hopefully, unless one of us gets injured ... well need you on standby and if by rare chance that happens, you'll need to pass Kai into jaspers care" He says, "he's our only option at the moment."

You nod, taking mental notes of the plan. "Seems simple enough."

"Well, it should be but not everything goes flawlessly so just watch your back yeah" He chuckles patting your shoulder.

"Will do" you say as Soap opens the door and lets you pass back out.

Price is in conversation with Kai when you and Soap return and he smiles at you. "Your dad says your moving soon" he frowns, "you just got here" he adds.

You glance at Price before nodding at Kai and taking a seat beside him. "Yes well, my mom she wants to uh, settle with us, drop traveling so ... we jumped on the opportunity" you explain.

"We can always meet up wherever it is" he says taking your phone from the counter and entering his contact information that you had taken good care of avoiding up until now.

"Oh ... great" you smile with a thumbs up.

"So, I haven't actually met your parents Kai, what do they do?" Soap asks starting conversation that could hold valuable information.