77 - Boss

"Beta and Alpha teams in position please." Price spoke into comms. You followed behind Ghost to entry point, crouching low against the brick wall. "Duo channel check." he said. 

You changed your earpiece channel, speaking into it while Ghost confirmed communication. Each of you had a different line for team calls and group calls so nothing got confusing when trying to pass orders. 

You smiled, doing a thumbs up to confirm Ghosts mic is in check. He checked his watch, the team had left a little earlier, assuming location was further than made out to be. The specified time for ambush was crucial for this mission. 

Knowing the routes and routines of workers, creating a complex puzzle for the team to weave about with skill. Trapping and cornering enemies while keeping safe and crossing paths into groups. 

The plan was complicated, needing time and intelligence to execute the mission precisely. You and Ghost would be entering from the south exactly on two, from then you both had gadgets to throw and then move. 

Ghost grunted, sitting down on the dirt and brushing his hands off. You sat down beside him, tapping on your bent knees as you waited for time to tick by. "Hey Ghost?" you said, your head bowing as you kept your gaze on the floor. 

"Hm?" he hums in response, looking ahead of him. 

"...nevermind." you rasped, you wanted to ask how he felt about you or what he thought of you and him.

You just wanted to know, ease the web of guilt that had spun its way around you recently, maybe you were having mood swings but something about the way your thoughts would wonder around your other teammates had you feeling bad.

There was a deep gratitude and appreciation for him, everything he did for the team was admirable. He did it without being vocal about his deeds, he didn't need to recognition. 

But he treated you differently than the team, you didn't think of it in a gender-based way. Sure, you were a girl, but you knew he'd smack you around the back of the head just as he did to Keegan and Soap when they got annoying. 

Moments when you were alone, there was never a discussion on the topic of a relationship and being unexperienced made you feel like you had to be quiet, not wanting to embarrass yourself with questions. 

Still, you didn't like to not know something, why had you become suddenly so curious about his thoughts on you? You didn't feel any certain type, you liked how things were going, it had taken time to get here. 

"Are we friends?" you asked, looking at him. 

He glanced across at you, his actions always menacing without him intending to do so, his eyes narrowed for a second. "What do you think" he says, you frown, knowing he did this before he'd reveal his own answer. 

"Well .. I don't know that's why I'm asking you." you mutter, looking back down at the dry dirt. 

"What's with the question anyways?" he mutters, "Friends or not, you decide." he shrugs dismissively. 

"Stop giving me the choice for everything." you mumble, folding your arms. 

"You're not a child you can make your own choices." he says back, his tone flat. You furrow your brows, a little confused. 

"Well I know but - .. like, I don't want the choice in this.." you say, fumbling over your words as if he'd just said some type of code you can't decipher. 

"Rookie, you can decide yourself, we both have different opinions on everything so why am I deciding for you." he sighs, his voice a little harsher than before.