60 - birthday girl

You push open the meeting room doors, finding the full team standing around. You scowl, gripping the thin string in your hand. "Whoever did this is getting a smack." you threaten holding the balloon that floats beside you. 

You turn towards the sound of a click of a camera, narrowing your eyes at Alejandro. "You look so happy hermana" he says, looking at his phone and showing those beside him. 

"Was it you Alejandro?" you say stepping into the room fully and letting the door swing shut. 

"No no, I was just in charge of taking the photo" he says turning the phone around. You frown masking the smile that threatens to take over, not because your happy but the picture of you looks idiotic. 

"I'm popping it" you growl, grabbing the knife from your belt and flipping it open. 

"You'd hurt the feelings of whoever gave it to you." Keegan says, leaning back in his chair. 

"So?" you mutter. You looked about at the team, double taking back to an oddly suspicious looking Soap. 

"It was one balloon" he says on defense immediately as he stands up. "It could have been two or three or 56, but it's just one" he says.

You narrow your eyes but sigh, some part of you had grown soft and you hated it sometimes. How blissful life was only needing to worry about yourself but now it affected you when you made them upset. 

"I don't want to see this." you mumble, tucking the knife away and feeling the balloon bob as you tug the string.  

"Easy fix" Ghost says taking it from your hand.

"Thank you" you say glancing at him. 

"I wouldn't do that" he says, stepping behind you as you feel him fiddling with the back of your vest. 

"Ghost you better not-" he steps back into view, the balloon is gone, and you shake your head, glancing up and seeing it hovering above you. "Untie that from my vest right now" you scowl.

"A lot of scowling from the birthday girl" Price joins in with a chuckle. 

"They did this to you didn't they?" you say turning to Ghost. 

"Mm, but it wasn't one, it was several." he says. 

"Can't believe you'd do this to me" you mumble, and he chuckles. 

He steps closer, dropping his voice as he faces the front. "Don't worry I'll take it off later" he says, his voice barely heard.

Your eyes flick to him as he clears his throat, standing up straight and walking off. "Rookie, I've got some work for you" Price catches your attention. 

You accept it happily, taking a seat and grabbing a pen, opening the folder and frowning. You glance up, everyone's gaze on their work as if they don't know. You pick up the white envelope. "Unless this is a check, I don't want it" you say. 

"You won't know unless you open it" Keegan says, looking over at you. 

You put it down, looking at them all. "I can't believe you all reassured me this wouldn't happen, and it's happening" you say watching as they smile. "Someone gives me some actual work."

"There's no work for you today rookie" Price smiles, taking papers that Alejandro holds out. 

"I'll do someone else's then" you offer, looking around. 

"Mine." Soap says, sliding across papers. .."What?" he says defensively after Ghost picks it up before it can reach you. 

"Do it yourself Johnny" Ghost grunts.