36 - 'Speed'

"You pick" you say with a smile as Kai offers you a drink. He places one down on your tray before leading you to a table filled with students.

Few you recognize but most you don't. "Guys, Rory" Kai says taking a seat and moving across for you. You sit beside him as you nod in greeting.

"Rory these are my mates" he says introducing you to them.

You smile while your eyes dart around the room. Already noticing someone who strolls around the perimeter of the cafeteria with eyes locked on Kai.

You make sure not to stare to long but take a mental note of the guy. "What's it like in London Rory?" Someone asks pulling you back to reality.

"Uh, newspaper?" You said uncertainly, replying to fast for your brain to come up with a valid answer.

"Sorry?" They repeat.

"Sorry" you say quickly before shaking your head. "It's ... crowded, definitely a tourist attraction, ever been?" You ask smoothing the conversation.

"Never" they shake their head. "But I'd like too" they smile.

"I've been a couple times" Kai joins in. They roll their eyes in a playful manner before looking across at Kai.

"That's because you have money to do so" they laugh. Kai hums amused as he finishes his mouthful.

"What did you think of it?" You ask.

"Mm, definitely had its sights" He nods.

You hum a response but say nothing more before someone speaks up. "Rory pass that down yeah love?" You followed where they pointed too.

You passed down a pile of napkins, noting their heavy English accent. "I like that" you say before you can stop yourself. "Your accent"

"Thanks" He smiles, "Its a lady killer" He laughs.

"Okay I don't like it anymore" you say which earns laughs from around the table.

"I'm only playing love, Kendrick" he says holding a handout.

You reach across the table taking his hand and shaking it a little more weakly after this morning's encounter with the other teacher.

"I'm sure you're in my English class" he says.

"Could be, haven't been paying much attention" you say with a shrug.

He chuckles, "I don't think anyone does, not with our teacher" he says.

You smile, "bit of a drone" you comment.

"Makes you want to sleep, eh?" Kai adds.

You nod eating your lunch. "What are you doing after school Rory?" Someone asks.

You look up trying to think. "Uh, sswwwi- nooothing, not that I know off yet" you add.

"You should come with us to Kais, just to hang" they say.

You look at Kai hoping he declines the invitation someone gave you, but he nods finishing his mouthful before he speaks. "Yeah, come along".

"I'll uh, I'll have to ask my dad" you say unsure if you should smile or acknowledge the odd feeling of saying the words.

"Call em, I'll ask" Kai grins as the others listen in.

"No, no, it's okay" you say with an uncertain smile as you grab your phone unlocking it.

You change prices contact name with a pang of sadness before you messaged quickly. 'Say no'. You gave them a smile as you started the call.

"Put it on speakerphone" Kai laughed. You slowly moved the phone back from your ear and clicked the speaker, the notable ringing sound continuing.