74 - corruption

You follow the team into the safehouse, the walls a deep grey of cement slabs creating a shelter for the team. Walking in is an open area connecting on with a small kitchen towards the back, its lit well with the natural sunlight. 

Down past the kitchen is a wide hallway, two glass doors at the back and wooden doors lining each side. You drag your duffle bag down the hall, following Ghost into a room and watching as he throws his bag onto a stretcher like bed. 

The others do the same and your quick to copy, claiming one between Soap and Ghost. The beds look uncomfortable even from glance, but you appreciate that at least on this mission you get a bed. 

You let out a slow huff, hands on hips as you look around. You grin at Soap who's returning smile is always warm, "Ready for tomorrow?" he asks, letting out a tired sigh as he lies down on his bed with an uncomfortable wince. 

The others slowly pile out of the room, few lingering as they unpack their bags. You give him a nod, sitting down on the edge of your bed facing him as he lifts his hands behind his head. "We'll be fine, just a quick in and out mission." he says. 

You give him another nod and smile, sighing as you flop onto your back with spread arms. The thin blankets are cool underneath you as you look up at the plain ceiling, your eyes close as you focus in on the chirps of birds from outside. 

"Everything alright rookie?" Soaps voice cuts through the peace with a pat on your thigh. You give him an upbeat hum in reply, sitting back up on the edge of the bed seeing him in the same position. 

"You still look tired Soap." you point out taking note of the dark bags under his eyes, he shrugs with a breathy chuckle. 

"I'm not, I just wake up looking tired, they'll disappear some point." he reassures you, checking the watch on his wrist. He lets out a small exhale from his nose, leaning back and supporting himself with his arms as he smiles. "Something on your mind?- you look worried rook." 

"No no, I'm okay." you say with another small smile that's quick to fade, "I've just got mission jitters, that's all." you shrug, resting your elbows on your knees as you sit your chin in your hand, looking across the small gap at him. 

"Mission jitters." he repeats, "Didn't take you for the nervous type rook." he laughs. 

"Well, I just been feeling a little on edge but nothing that bad." you say with a careless shrug, eyes drifting down to the floor as you study the cracks between the slabs. 

"Is there a reason why?" he asks, tilting his head to the side slightly, an unintentional move that happens to make your eyes flick up to him. His posture is relaxed, sitting on the edge of the bed, thighs parted as he leans back on his arms. 

The shirt he wears, the light from the window, how his muscles tense and fit the short sleeves of his shirt like a glove. There's something about his messy mohawk that adds to the ambience of attraction, like an open hug that lures you and yet he doesn't seem to notice. 

How his blue eyes are bright against his skin tone, rimmed with dark lashes. You hate the way he tilts his head, for reasons that aren't fair to him. You sit up a little, swallowing as you shake your head. "Not anything that's important." you mutter. 

"You're lying to me." he says, breaking into a grin that tests your own serious expression. You shake your head, trying not to smile, another thing to hate, how everyone's smiles are so contagious on this team. 

"Nuh uh." you say, narrowing your eyes as he copies, sitting up a little more as he leans closer, maybe in some attempt to intimidate you but the action comes across as friendly play.