58 - Safe & Sound

You stood there, rocking back and forth on you heels with files in your hand, watching as Ghost scolded a low rank for being late to training earlier that day.

He had been going off at everyone who annoyed him in the slightest bit, or even just finding excuses to yell. Small things that he'd shout at someone else about. Trying to filter out his frustrations on those he knew had to accept it. 

He'd been see-through the past few days, frustration and anger simmering under his mask. You didn't know the cause but assumed it'd been the workload he had been receiving.

You weren't sure if he was even sleeping, he looked extremely exhausted. He sighed, his annoyance laced within the exhale while he pinched the bridge of his nose, shaking his head as the low rank tried to look calm.

You pressed your lips into a thin line, your eyes darting between Ghost and the Soldier. You decided it was best to just leave, not wanting to get him annoyed at you next. When he was in a bad mood it was everyone's fault. You turned around taking a step.

"Hold it Rook" Ghost growled, you paused, turning around with a nervous smile lingering on your lips.

He looked at you then to the soldier before dismissing them with a harsh word of 'advice'. They left quickly and his eyes flicked to you and down at your hand that clutched the files like some type of stress toy.

He straightened himself, walking into his office as you silently followed. He sighed once more, walking around his desk and sitting down while you stood there awkwardly.

Lately, you'd been letting your guard down, not being so protective of your emotions. Now that you'd given them a taste of freedom they wouldn't settle for less and you found yourself emotional at things you'd experienced your whole life.

Being yelled at for one, even thought it was normal to be shouted at in the military, when it was directed at you it made you feel like crying, and you hated it. You didn't want to cry but your body would go against you.

Like when you were clearly not okay and some nosey bastard would ask if you were okay, that'd just make you start crying after trying not to.

"You finished the work then?" he muttered, his voice gruff and slightly annoyed. You nod, holding out the files. "I can't reach them when you're standing over there now, can I?" he mumbles.

You purse your lips and step closer, passing them to him. You watch as he flicks through them, glancing up at you before giving a dismissive wave. You nod, not that he's looking at you and leave.

You see Keegan approaching Ghost's office with his work, he smiles when he sees you leaving Ghost's office and drops his voice to a whisper as you smile back. "Please tell me he's in a good mood" he says.

You shake your head, "I wouldn't say so" you mumble as he sighs and looks over your shoulder.

"Will you come with me?" he jokes, linking his arm through yours as you grin.

"You got this; I'll be supporting you on the sidelines" you laugh quietly.

"I can hear you both" Ghost says, his voice cutting through your conversation, as you and Keegan freeze. You both purse your lips and walk back down the hall hurriedly, silently hoping Ghost isn't going to follow.

Soaps door opens and he furrows his brows at you and Keegan rushing back down to your offices. "What?" he whispers, panic already in his voice without having a clue and following you both.

You smile, reaching your office as Keegan rushes in, along with a confused and panicked Soap. "What, what is it?" he asks, looking around.

"Just Ghost is all" you say watching as his posture relaxes slightly.