20 - 'Sad Nostalgia'

You followed behind him, your mind wasn't awake, but your body moved along as he dragged you roughly. You managed to grab your sneakers from beside the door as Ghost tugged your half-asleep self along.

Your eyes glazed across the windows at the end of the hall. It was dark hours looked to be around 10pm you assumed. Your felt the texture of the smooth concrete paths underneath you sock as you approached HQ vehicle bay. Seeing Soap and Price already in a convoy.

You yawned, trotting behind before Ghost ordered you to climb in, walking to the trunk and closing it as you did. He hopped in beside you, cramping you between him and Soap once more as your head lulled sleepily. He shut the door and Price immediately took off.

"No gear?" Soap asked, his gaze forwards. You shrugged too tired to give a full reaction "I was sleeping" you groaned, closing your eyes and leaning your head back. "didn't you hear the major about being prepared?" He asked. You nodded "mhm, these are my pajamas" you said yawning once more as you tugged your shirt over your lap.

"Who sleeps in a shirt?"

"Me clearly" You groaned "And lots of other people too." you added.

"Without pants?"

"Shut up its more common than you think." You scowled.

"Anyone have a hood or something?" Soap asked. Price handed over a folder from the driver's seat. You took it with raised eyebrows before putting it on your lap. "Great." You said with a nod and a firm smile. You shut your eyes and yawned, leaning your head back. "Don't go to sleep" Ghost grumbled. You growled in reply but stretched, nonetheless.

Your body was a little more awake now. "What's going on?" You asked, sitting up. "An urgent mission" Price said.

"We've got to do surveillance on an enemy base not too far. A team was sent out, but plans were jeopardized, we've got intel and cams but we're on standby."

"We've got a squad going in to retrieve them, they're being held captive, but we'll be in a safe house, using the information to help extract the hostage team safely or interfere if needed."

"Where's the mission?" You asked.

"About 8 hours south in a small town by seaside, we'll get an update on availability from the safehouse considering it hasn't been used in a while ... it's in a place called Autumn falls, been there once as a kid, nice views" Price said.

You felt your chest closed. Your hometown. You hadn't been back since you'd left. The town of Autumn Falls is nestled in a small valley at the bottom of a towering mountain range, in the shadow of a gorgeous waterfall and lake. The town is known for its breathtaking views and quiet atmosphere, perfect for anyone seeking a getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city.

You kept your head down, wanting to say turn back around but you felt as if you'd already screwed up enough of the mission and despite your twisting stomach you stayed silent. You entwined your hands on your lap, resting on top the folder as you fidgeted nervously.

Even though you had grown up there you never really fit in. You didn't socialize or go out in town often, stayed home in your secluded property. Needing no company as you trained with your father.

-----

The eight hours passed quickly as you took the opportunity to sleep waking up as the convoy stopped, the sounds of doors opening making you shift with a groan. The night was still dark, to no surprise. Price had been speeding urgently trying to reach the safehouse.

You hopped out the vehicle, feeling foolish as you put your sneakers on. Price was standing with his hands on his hips as he overlooked the safehouse. A small and rundown shed, big enough for two or even one to live in. Walking inside, windows had been smashed, walls vandalized, and random trash scattered about.