8 - 'Piggy back'

You shifted slightly in your seat. "Yeah...?" you asked slowly. Your face didn't show it, but inside, your mind was racing. You didn't have any family. You didn't have a home to go back to. Sure, you could figure something out, but that wasn't helping calm your brain.

"Well - Those three high-ranks were quick to complain about you, claiming all sorts." Ghost went on, glancing at Soap occasionally, who sat beside you as if he couldn't hold your gaze.

You nodded, waiting for him to continue. "They were issuing out all sorts of ideas to punish you - over-the-top consequences," He said with a few hand gestures, being vague.

"You do know that the middle one you bet up was the major's son," Ghost asked, raising an eyebrow. You shook your head no, but now you did. Ghost nodded. "Well, unfortunately, because of the circumstances .." He went on. You tensed. This was it. You were out.

"Unfortunately, you're going to be going on a mission in a few days -" Ghost announced, you were confused. Was this a bad mission? One they were sending you on because they knew you wouldn't survive. Ghost's eyes still looked sympathetic, confusing you beyond your understanding.

"Because -" Soap cut him off. "Because they're rather impressed, rookie!" Soap said roughly, slapping your back as if congratulating you. 'Huh?' You were still confused, and your face clearly showed it.

"They were very impressed with your skill and tactics, they're ranking you up," Ghost explained, shooting Soap a stern glare as if ruining his suspense.

"Oh..?" you said. "You'll be tagging along on a few missions with me and Soap, just so we can see how you react in action," Ghost said, nodding at Soap as he mentioned him.

"Yeah, the Major - dad dude, thought it was hilarious. Said the kid deserved a righteous beating for once, " Soap said, his accent thick lacing his words. Ghost nodded and turned back to you. "They want to see how well you do out on the battlefield and in a few other categories," He said.

You nodded slowly. "So I'm not kicked?" You asked. Ghost shook his head. "And you couldn't start with that why?" You said glaring at Ghost, who gave a careless shrug. You rolled your eyes and leaned back on the couch, glancing at Soap.

"Soap! - that's mine!" You shouted, sitting up. "Mmph?" Soap mumbled with a mouthful of eggs.

"Those were my eggs! When did you even get up to grab the -" You stared as he took another mouthful. "Never mind," you grumbled, flopping back against the couch.

"So what rank am I now?" You asked, turning to Ghost. He gave another shrug. "That'll be decided after your missions," He stated. You nodded, folding your arms as you side-eyed soap eating your eggs.

"Will you be at training today?" Ghost asked, heading towards the door and motioning for soap to get up. "I didn't know I had a choice," you said, standing up. "You don't - your ass better be there," Ghost said, opening the door and waiting for Soap to finish his mouthful.

"I wasn't planning on leaving it here," you muttered with a smirk. You could tell by Ghost's eyes that he was not amused. Soap however was, laughing as he reached Ghost, walking past and out into the hall as Ghost closed the door. 

"Better than your 'half a dog' joke Lt," you heard Soap say as the voices faded. "Shut up," Ghost replied before silence.

.....

You left your dorm, headphones on as usual. Outside was cloudy and grey, and it looked like a storm was about to hit. You still couldn't find your boots. You had no clue where they were. You had all your gear on, required for training after lunch.