24

Advertisement
The Green Lotus Peasant Girl
Chapters List
Chapter 24: Dowry

Despite feeling a little hungry, Li Qinghe didn’t want to go to the main room to eat together with the others, since Zhao Wanwan’s soon-to-be in-laws were sitting there. She needed to avoid any suspicion, so she got up and went to the kitchen.

There were two steamed buns on the side of the pot and a half plate of vegetables. There were even a few pieces of meat left too. Seeing this, she never expected Mrs. Qian to prepare this for her.

As she picked up the plate, she intended to go back to her room to eat.

As she passed by the main room, she heard Mrs. Hu’s words, “I have the same idea as you since I came here. I think the marriage should be settled as soon as possible.”

“The dowry must be discussed carefully.” She continued without waiting for Mrs. Qian’s reply.

After she stopped speaking, Li Qinghe saw Zhao Wanwan and Hu Yanxi leave the main room one after another.

Seeing Li Qinghe with a plate, Zhao Wanwan was a little worried and intentionally or unintentionally blocked Hu Yanxi’s view. “Sister, will you take it to your room and eat?”

Li Qinghe hummed in response. She glanced at Hu Yanxi who was staring at her over there, then walked back inside after greeting.

Zhao Wanwan’s voice came from behind. “This is my sister Qinghe. She just got engaged a few days ago with the Zhou family’s son. Although my parents are unwilling, she is pleased with Brother Chengkang and insists on marrying. The lovers are finally getting married.”

Generally, people would introduce their sisters with no more than one or two sentences, but Zhao Wanwan introduced her so ambiguously that it seemed deliberate.

Upon hearing this, Li Qinghe gained a deeper insight into Zhao Wanwan’s thoughts.

Zhao Wanwan’s words suggested that her sister is engaged and that she has a deep relationship with her fiancé. However, they also implied that she had little confidence in herself.

She didn’t care about the two people outside. She heard Mrs. Qian’s voice from the next room, “How much would you like to discuss the dowry?”

She heard Mrs. Hu say, “I heard that your eldest daughter’s dowry includes over ten acres of land and a pond.”

Li Qinghe gnawed on her steamed bun.

Are they talking about my land?

Li Qinghe wasn’t interested in listening to Li Fu and Mrs. Qian’s explanations and instead concentrated on eating.

After the meal, she had to sew clothes for Zhou Chengkang. Before they had decided upon the marriage, he helped her a lot but never accepted any gifts. Now that they’re engaged, it’s time to give each other gifts.

When she returned to the kitchen after eating the dishes, she found Mrs. Hu and her son leaving.

When Mrs. Hu saw Li Qinghe, she looked at her from head to toe and asked, “Are you Qinghe?”

Li Qinghe paused for a moment and said, “Hello Auntie. Are you going back now? Wouldn’t you like to stay a little longer?”

Mrs. Hu waved her hand, “No, your family has been very busy lately with the autumn harvest. We would be embarrassed to delay your work.”

“There will be no delay. Someone will be home anytime.” Mrs. Qian walked out of the house and smiled, “Sister, stay a little longer. You can return after sunset so we can talk more.”