68

Thank you for the donation, TA! ?

While everyone was scratching their heads, Zhang Haiyao casually found an excuse to dismiss them, and went up to the door where Li Qinghe and Zhou Chengkang stood at the entrance, watching the carriage leave.

"Qinghe, who was he? What does he want?" Zhang Haiyao was holding her child and showed no sign of hiding her curiosity.

"Nothing much," Li Qinghe said casually. "He heard that my sweet potatoes were well grown, so he just wanted to know how to plant them."

Zhang Haiyao was stunned, not expecting this result. "So the magistrate came to ask? The magistrate is still in charge of this?"

"Hmm." Li Qinghe looked up at the sky. It was autumn, but the sun was shining today, so she couldn't help but say, "It's best not to expose the child to the sun right now; it may cause sunburn."

Zhang Haiyao hummed, looking curiously into the courtyard and seeming to want to enter the door.

Zhou Chengkang nodded as a greeting and turned around to enter the door. Li Qinghe smiled. "I still have things to do on my side. Third Sister-In-Law, go back quickly!"

Zhang Haiyao, no matter how thick-skinned she was, couldn't squeeze through the door at this point.

As soon as she turned around, she saw Mrs. Zhou and Mei Hua hurrying over. Li Qinghe naturally also saw them and stood in the same place waiting for them to come over.

"Who were those people?" Mrs. Zhou was full of worry. "I heard there were also people with swords. Did you do anything?"

"No." Li Qinghe remained patient with Mrs. Zhou. "They came to see the sweet potatoes I planted."

Mrs. Zhou said, "It's good that everything is okay."

"Are those sweet potatoes really tasty?" Mei Shi asked curiously. "I heard that they taste good when cooked, and they can also be eaten dry."

She was now pregnant and no longer went to town early in the morning. Li Qinghe nodded. "Sister-In-Law, take some back to eat."

Mei Hua was delighted by her words and pulled Mrs. Zhou into the courtyard. Zhang Haiyao followed her in order not to be outdone.

Li Qinghe gave each of them a sweet potato packed inside a piece of clothing before sending them off.

Sweet potatoes could be left out for a while after the bad ones had been removed, and they would last longer if separated.

Once they had cleaned up inside and outside the house, they headed up the mountain to chop firewood and hunt along the way.

In the beginning, the harvest from hunting was good. They harvested three rabbits and a chicken. Unfortunately, all of them were injured, so they were sent to town right away.

As a result of coming down from the mountains and going to the town, it was dark when they got there. Initially, the carriage could not enter the town due to a large number of people, and they had to walk. However, at this hour, the streets were basically empty, so Li Qinghe drove straight to a restaurant in the carriage without much delay.

The road was familiar to them, and as the carriage emerged from the back door of the restaurant, she saw an acquaintance.

—Old Lady Liu.

It was true that she was doing well as rumor had it. She was wearing a satin shirt and her hair was smooth, with a silver hairpin on her head, much like an old lady from a rich family in the town. Two little girls followed behind her as they entered the small courtyard unhurriedly.