47

On the day of the Dragon Boat Festival, the two returned to Li's house. It was the first time Li Qinghe officially returned to her maternal family's home after getting married. Li Fu was very pleased and he went to the pond a day in advance to confirm whether they were going to return.

As a result, when they arrived at Li’s house, Li Fu did not go outside, instead he swept the floor at home. When he saw the two at the door, he opened the door with a smile and led them in.

There was well-brewed tea on the table in the room, and the house was clean both inside and out. In comparison with the chaos when she returned last time, this time was much better, and she was thoroughly treated with hospitality.

Li Qinghe brought back a pheasant and a piece of meat. Li Fu smiled and took it, "Drink water. I was afraid that you wouldn't come back. You've been busy over there lately, haven't you?"

"Thank you, dad." Zhou Chengkang took a sip of tea and said, "Actually, it's fine. First, we need to prepare the wood and green bricks, and then we can get started."

Li Fu sat down on the opposite side and asked, "When will the construction begin? How many people will you hire?"

"We will begin construction in two days. I will hire as many people as possible, as we are hoping to move in soon." Li Qinghe said as she sipped her tea. For her, this was quite a novel experience. From her childhood to adulthood, her father hadn't had a serious conversation with her like this, so she was in a good mood, and said a few more words, "I know it's hard to get up early in the winter, and someone has to keep watch over the chickens in the farmhouse."

As Li Fu heard this, he agreed, "I'll go look at the kitchen, but you stay here."

When they entered the house, Mrs. Qian poked her head out to greet them, as if she had no hard feelings about Li Qinghe for not lending the money last time.

Soon, Mrs. Qian brought out the cooked food - a plate of meat slices, a pot of bone soup, fried vegetables and pickles, porridge, and steamed buns. The buns were whiter on the inside than regular coarse grain buns, so it was clear that refined flour was added.

It was indeed a thoughtful meal.

The bowls and chopsticks were all set, and Li Fu began to pour the wine. Mrs. Qian looked at the entrance several times, and Li Qinghe was in a good mood so she asked, "Is Wanwan coming back?"

Mrs. Qian was also very happy and replied, "Yes, today is the Dragon Boat Festival, so she found someone to cover her work."

Zhao Wanwan arrived as soon as the meal was served. She bought some steamed buns. She wore the same veil as last time, and Mrs. Qian smiled as she welcomed her.

If it weren't for borrowing money, they could still get along in harmony. Towards the end of dinner, Li Fu was drunk and blushed, "It would be nice if Yanxi was here." Zhao Wanwan did not say a word as she cleaned up the dishes and helped Mrs. Qian pack them up.

The situation was not right. Every time Hu Yanxi's name was brought up, Zhao Wanwan always talked about him. Li Fu did not pay attention as he talked to Zhou Chengkang about the things that needs attention when building a house. When Mrs. Qian noticed it, she frowned and said, "Wanwan, help me bring them to the kitchen."

Zhao Wanwan waved her hand, "Mother, I can't work with this shirt on. It wouldn’t be any good if it's stained and won’t come out."

Mrs. Qian held back her anger, "Then come over and talk to me."

When Li Qinghe carried the dishes to the kitchen, she heard Zhao Wanwan crying and saying something from outside, but when she went in, neither mother nor daughter spoke, and the atmosphere was silent.