58

Everyone was hungry at this point, and couldn't stop swallowing when they saw the table full of delicious dishes. Li Qinghe had worked at a restaurant for two years and occasionally, Chef Chen had taught her how to cook. Since she saw him cooking every day, she naturally learned how to cook delicious food.

Mrs. Zhou had also prepared wine, and everyone poured themselves a bowl. Since she hadn’t gotten chopsticks, everyone had to endure it if they wanted to eat.

Mrs. Zhou coughed slightly. "It’s rare for a family to sit together during Chinese New Year nowadays. Before we eat, I have a few words to say."

Everyone turned to look at her.

The Zhou siblings and the three new daughters-in-law who had entered the house didn’t dare be rude to Mrs. Zhou. There was a serious look on their faces, no matter how they felt inwardly.

"I am sure you've all heard about what happened to the Qian family last week, so I hope you don't grow up to be such assholes."

Everyone looked solemn and said, "No."

Mrs. Zhou nodded. "I see you are doing well in these six months, so you must each send me fifty catties of grain every year after this autumn's harvest."

The house was already quiet, but after hearing this, it was so quiet one could hear a pin drop. Zhang Haiyao and Mei Shi looked at each other, while Old Lady Liu frowned. "Sister, I'll be fair. You're still young, and it's too soon to begin making your children filial……"

Mrs. Zhou raised her hand to stop her. "This is the matter of the Zhou family. If the members are dissatisfied, they must tell me so. It is not an outsider's place to address them."

The old lady's expression darkened when she heard this. "I thought you would treat me as if I were part of the family. Instead, I can’t even speak a word. If that's the case, then I must…" She stood up haughtily, turned around, and was about to leave, looking angry.

Just as she was about to step past the threshold, Mrs. Zhou said, "You are my guest and my eldest child provides for you, or you do what I did and let my eldest give you fifty catties of grain every year."

How could fifty catties of grain be enough for her?

Old Lady Liu thought that Mrs. Zhou was going to ask her to stay, but she hadn’t expected her to say such hard-hearted words. She had no choice but to leave.

Seeing this, Mei Shi shouted, "Mother." She got up and was about to go after her.

As she approached the door, Mrs. Zhou said, in a deep voice, "Sister-in-law Liu can leave because she is not a member of my family. If you leave, take her away and get out of my house."

Elder Brother Zhou got up and patted his mother's back. "Mother, don't be angry on this New Year's Eve."

Mrs. Zhou waved her hand and said solemnly, "I raised you from a young age, so can't you raise me when I'm old? Fifty catties of grain a year isn't much. You’re making trouble for me, thinking you can get away with it. Do you really think that you can get away with it? I would never have asked you for this if you had gone to live with the Liu family. Just as with the second child, you can leave me your land and not need to give me your grain either."

"I’ll hand it in," Zhang Haiyao suddenly said. "Mother, we are willing to give grains. It is right to give it to you in your old age, and my sister-in-law must also be willing to pay."

Li Qinghe nodded. "We are willing to give."

Therefore, Mei Shi, who was running out, seemed to be particularly frugal. Her face turned ugly and she said, "Since it is Mother's old age, we can talk about all the things she needs. We have no reason to disagree. It's just that my mother…"