69

Li Qinghe noticed Hu Yanxi's hands trembling while he was drinking water, and felt that his patched clothing was out of place with his persona. When he took the tea bowl, he thanked her and smiled as politely as before.

Mrs. Qian came over to drink tea. Recently, she had been forced by Li Fu to work every day. Working in the fields was very tiring but she persisted and was now used to it. "I heard that fish soup is good for the body, why don't you buy a fish from Qinghe to stew?"

Although she said to buy fish, how could Li Qinghe accept her father's money if she really sent them the fish?

Before she could speak, Li Fu had already said, "No need. What's the point of fish soup when you've been told to eat the bitterness?"

Zhao Wanwan's eyes lit up when she heard the fish soup. She loved eating meat. But no matter whether it was before or after her marriage, she couldn't eat meat as she wished. She regretted now that she didn't insist on the pond when the Hu family wanted it.

If it were changed now, she would definitely fight for it. She would own the pond and be able to fish whenever she wanted. She couldn't do anything about it now. Li Fu's refusal immediately wilted her heart, which had not yet been excited.

Seeing Hu Yanxi's ragged shirt and his stained-red hands, she couldn't help but ask, "Father, do you not want us to return to live here? If not, why do you keep forcing us to work? Even if you let me do it, why does Yanxi still have to work?"

"He's a scholar and has no strength. It's only been a while since he started working but his hands are already worn out like this. These…"

She took Hu Yanxi's hand. "These… are the wounds left from last time when Hu Yanxi worked in the fields. His hands are used to write. What can be done if his hand is injured?"

Li Fu glanced at her and said disapprovingly, "No way, his master in the town was also from Wang village at the beginning. He worked hard plowing and harvesting in autumn every day. When was the last time he did not work?"

"Now that you're back, why don't you help me?" He pointed at Li Qinghe. "Since they got engaged, Zhou Chengkang has come every time to help me. Considering this, I wish I could purchase some meat and vegetables to express my gratitude. Unfortunately, I don't have any extra silver to buy meat since you've been eating at home for half a year. If you want meat, you'll have to buy it yourself."

Zhao Wanwan was speechless.

If they could buy it themselves, the couple would not have to return home and rely on Li Fu.

"No, this is just fine." Hu Yanxi finally spoke, smiled gently, and also thanked Li Qinghe, before saying, "Father-in-law's words are still very reasonable and thought-provoking. It makes me feel different here."

As he looked at Li Qinghe, he smiled. "I heard that a magistrate visited my sister-in-law's house with his guards. I wonder what division the leader belongs to…"

Li Qinghe answered, "He is the county official."

Li Qinghe could tell that Hu Yanxi was disappointed when he heard this answer, but he continued. "In this kind of farming, anyone who has done a great deed must be reported to the imperial court at every level, and perhaps there will be a reward at that time. I wonder what that leader had said? Has my sister told him the method?"

It was true that Magistrate Lin had said that, that day, but the reward was still unknown. Anyway, the farming method hadn’t been a secret to begin with. The old farmers who had farmed for many years would find that sweet potato vines would grow roots no matter what part of the soil they touched.