34

Advertisement
The Green Lotus Peasant Girl
Chapters List
Chapter 34: The first time she talks about her family and future plans

Since she doesn't have a family, if she is accustomed to living in this tiny town, she really has no reason to return.

A short while later, Yu Yan tentatively inquired, "So the Xu family gave you a thank-you gift?"

"No." Li Qinghe shook her head, "I didn't expect them to send it. That day, when I saw a person covered in blood by the roadside early in the morning, I couldn't just watch him die!"

"It seems that the Xu family isn't so good after all." Yu Yan said thoughtfully.

After that, Li Qinghe agreed with her and changed the subject since she did not want to talk any longer about the Xu family. She smilingly said, "It's not okay if you don't know people here if you want to live in the village in the future. In a few days, Zhou's family will celebrate a happy event. Would you like to be there to assist?"

Yu Yan replied, "Okay."Then she teased her, "Brother Chengkang is a nice person. You haven't gone to feed the fish these days?"

The fish were usually fed by Zhou Chengkang.

Li Qinghe was not embarrassed. She nodded with a smile: "I usually go to check them every few days."

Everyone in the past few days had been preparing for the New Year, and Li Fu was no exception. Li Fu often went to town with Mrs. Qian to buy snacks and other necessities, but this did not concern Li Qinghe.

Within a blink of an eye on the twelfth lunar month, the third son of the Zhou family got married. Around the New Year, the village often witnessed many happy events. Still, the Zhou family's happy occasion was a bit special. The bride, for instance, was a young woman from the town. Even though she was born to a concubine, she still belonged to a merchant family. Compared with the peasant girl, she ate comfortably and was well taken care of every day.

She had a body as fragile as glass and never ate coarse grains. She also had a servant girl...

This was what everyone heard.

Early in the morning, Li Qinghe and Yu Yan went to the Zhou home to help with the wedding. She chopped vegetables while Yu Yan helped her arrange them on plates. Yu Yan's work was a little leisurely, but she helped. She also met many villagers in the kitchen.

At noon, the bride arrived soon after the meal had been prepared.

Everyone in the kitchen squeezed out to see the excitement, and Yu Yan pulled Li Qinghe out as well to join in the fun.

Outside the gate of Zhou's house, a red sedan chair slowed down. Zhou Chengcai gestured at the crowd watching the excitement around him. The courtyard was filled with roaring noises from within and from outside.

After the matchmaker spoke auspicious words, she waited for the bride to exit the sedan. When she pulled out a red silk thread, everyone started to joke and tease Zhou Chengcai about holding hands directly. Zhou Chengcai reached out his hand to the sedan chair as this was not uncommon.

The crowd's roar gradually subsided as he waited. The matchmaker, probably noticing the bride's shyness, laughed hurriedly, "The red silk ties the marriage is tied by a thread, till the couple turns gray..."

In the end, her voice trailed off and the crowd laughed again.

By this point, it was already the second time the matchmaker hinted the bride should get off the sedan. But after waiting a long time, the bride still did not get off.

At this moment, everyone realized something was wrong, and could not help but go to the door.

Is the bride unwilling to marry or is something else going on?