36

Advertisement
The Green Lotus Peasant Girl
Chapters List
Chapter 36: Get Married

Over there, Mrs. Qian was crying. While she didn't howl, she whimpered in an aggrieved voice.

Li Qinghe was slightly irritated by it, but Zhao Wanwan walked up to her and asked softly, "Mother, what's happened?"

Her sudden willingness to step forward was surprising since she was generally the kind of girl who hid inside when two people fought in the past.

As Mrs. Qian bawled, Li Fu leaned on the chair, seemingly falling asleep, and ignored her. When he heard his daughter's question, he felt embarrassed that he could not get off the spotlight, and he said, "Your uncle wants to go to the county with Yan Xi in a couple of days to take the exams. Your uncle is going to marry a woman after the Chinese New Year, but they don't have any money. Both your grandfather and grandmother are too old to work. I suggest you ask your father today for some..."

Needless to say, after these words were spoken, Mrs. Qian lay on the table and cried more sadly.

Zhao Wanwan looked a little pale, "How much money does uncle want?"

As Mrs. Qian glanced at Li Qinghe, she said, "At least five taels, ideally more. A poor family, a rich road¹."

When Li Qinghe noticed her sight, she picked up the teapot and cups and went outside.

Want me to pay, dream on. In addition, from a long-term expenditure perspective, no matter how much money is given to him, it is not enough to support him in the town.

"Five teals?" Zhao Wanwan exclaimed, and then she heard her low voice,"Where is my dowry?"

The voice was low and inaudible. It would have been inaudible if Li Qinghe had not deliberately listened to her.

Obviously, the words meant if Li Fu had already promised to give them the money set aside for her dowry.

"Your father is an iron rooster." When Mrs. Qian saw Li Fu leaning back in the chair and falling asleep, she got furious and said, "I told him to give it to your uncle because he didn't give the land as a dowry. If your uncle passes the exam, you can put the land under his name and save taxes."

Li Qinghe didn't want to hear anymore and went to the kitchen to wash the cups.

The impression she had of Wanwan's uncle was still influenced by what he said at the courtyard door that morning when he asked Mrs. Qian to give him the silver and was accompanied by a half-naked woman that afternoon at the town gate. If such a person passes the exam, there won't be so few talents in the world.

Even after Mrs. Qian had wept for a long time, Li Fu was still not awake, so she went back to her room angrily.

It was getting late, and Li Fu still wasn't awake. Li Qinghe took two quilts to wrap him up after thinking for a while. It would be more troublesome if he became ill.

Li Qinghe raised his hand to tuck the quilt under his arm. It was intended to let him hold the quilt and not have it slide down. Li Fu awoke unexpectedly. After scanning the room, he squeezed his eyebrows and asked, "Did I fall asleep? Where's your Aunt Qian?"

"She became angry and went back to her room." Li Qinghe was unable to cover him properly, and asked, "Will you sleep here or go back to your room?"

As Li Fu waved his hand, "I'm going to bed, you should go to bed earlier too..." Thinking about something, Li Fu asked again, "Has the Zhou family mentioned anything about marriage?"

"Not yet."

Li Fu nodded, "Don't worry. It’s okay to get married at the end of the year."

He used to remind her every day to set a date for the wedding, but now he is not in a hurry to do so?