113

Listening to the voices slowly fade away, Li Qinghe looked at Zhou Chengkang in the cellar and asked, "Has your mother been too lonely lately?" She even brought her niece over to raise her.

Zhou Chengkang shook his head and laughed, "It's going to be alright, if anyone intends to prevent us from living a good life, she will drive them out first."

After listening to his words, Li Qinghe thought about it for a bit. Recalling Mrs. Zhou's reaction just now, she said, "Did I speak too impolitely with mom?"

Zhou Chengkang, covered in dust, came out of the cellar, reached out, and hugged her, "I'm very happy to see that you care about me so much."

Li Qinghe raised her eyebrows, "All the land in this house is in my name. You dare to hug me while being this dirty?"

"Right." Zhou Chengkang nodded his head in agreement, "I dare not misbehave, what are madam's orders?"

Li Qinghe pulled him to the front yard, "Come and eat now. You ate too early in the morning."

In the blink of an eye, it was June. The weather gradually turned hotter. Wu Li came again during this period and took some medicinal herbs from her. Later, Li Qinghe came to know that when Wu Li was on his way back, someone stopped his carriage at the entrance of the village and tried to sell medicinal herbs to Wu Li. After examining the herbs, Wu Li told the person that the herbs were in small quantity and they were not even rare herbs, so he refused to buy.

In fact, the surrounding mountains had many rare medicinal herbs. Li Qinghe and Zhou Chengkang had gone to look for the medicines a lot of times and found many herbs that were easy to grow. They both studied pharmacology and knew more about the herbs than most of the villagers. They even picked up some plants which seemed like ordinary weeds to the villagers.

Wu Li didn't accept the herbs from them, so the villager took those herbs to the town to sell them. Surprisingly, the price was not bad. Medicinal materials themselves were more expensive than food, but there were not many of them.

Then, after June, more and more people went to the mountains. Some people even borough back some large bark that could be used as medicinal material. They moved the trees directly into their houses. And for the trunks that couldn’t be sold, were used by them as firewood.

The surrounding forest was trampled over by everyone in this manner, and some doctors in the town who gathered their own medicine, stopped coming to the village.

When the villagers saw this, they reacted quickly, and many daughters-in-law went to their natal family's village and climbed the mountains to pick some herbs. As a result, the entire mountain of Luoyue Town was quickly plundered. Fortunately, Wu Li didn't accept their medicinal materials, and all the medicinal materials collected from the surrounding area were sold to the town in the end. Otherwise, the ordinary medicinal materials needed by the town doctors could only be purchased in the country.

Li Qinghe and Zhou Chengkang didn't go to the mountains to collect herbs, but to pull out weeds or cut firewood. They had already collected all the seeds for the medical materials they wanted.

In the middle of June when the sun was at its peak, they went to town again and picked up Dr. Huang's grandson. The two began practicing calligraphy again.

After they purchased more land, the two didn't want to go to the autumn harvest by themselves. There was so much work to be done and the two would be very exhausted. In the worst-case scenario, they would use the money earned from selling fish to pay the worker's wages.

When it was time for the autumn harvest, other families were either busy with the harvest or were preparing for the harvest. It looked like this year the harvest would be good, so the atmosphere in the village was quite happy. In fact, many people were now eyeing Li Qinghe's land. They wanted to help her after they finished their work so that they could earn a lot of money every year.