57

(T/N: Mrs. You is the wife of the adopted son of the Qian family.)

There was a brief moment of silence in the courtyard, and then the people began discussing among themselves. Qian Laiwen was also present. The look on his face was very ugly as he asked, "Why didn't you tell me at that time?"

Thinking about this made one feel sick to their stomach. It was terrible. To fulfill their son's request, the old couple went to get money from either the adopted son or the married daughter. It was especially difficult for the family of the adopted son to provide money over the years for Qian Laiwen's education. The old couple even argued with their married daughter when she came home, for money.

They didn't hesitate to accept a high bride price even against their girl's will when she got married. Once they had the silver, they spent all of it on the son, and now they didn't expect that the son who had been treated like this would kill them with his own hands.

"Sister-in-law, don't make a fuss about this. Although you did wipe the aunt's body, it didn’t have any injuries. If he really did it, how could there be no traces?" It was a woman about the same age as Mrs. You. She didn't question her, but raised a few doubts.

Mrs. You was dumbfounded. "How could I possibly say that at the time? I was too scared about finding this. This has been causing me nightmares for the past six months… The last time I saw it was more than six months ago, but this time I saw it for myself. Father hasn't gotten out of bed in a long time. I provide food, and clothes and bedding are changed by my child's father and I wash them. Why did he suddenly want to go out? Why didn't he ask for help?"

The village chief entered the door. He had heard a lot outside the courtyard and entered the door solemnly. "So you mean Old Man Qian was deliberately killed by your brother-in-law?"

Mrs. You did not dare to admit this. "I cannot admit it, but I have some doubts about the deaths of my parents."

First, Mrs. Qian entered the house. She looked at her unbreathing father and cried out. After listening to the external discussions, she went outside and asked, "Then why didn't you tell me? Even if you didn't tell them, why not even me?"

Qian Laiwen followed behind her. "Sister-in-law, what are you talking about? I have read the law; everything needs evidence, otherwise you will go to jail!"

Mrs. You paled. "I didn't make a false accusation, I just spoke about something suspicious. Since everything is fine, just carry on with the funeral, but we really don't have the money. Now, this funeral…"

Everyone also remembered that at the time of Old Lady Qian's funeral, it was indeed the family of Mrs. You who contributed the most silver for the funeral, along with Li Fu.

Qian Laiwen spoke eloquently, "If it hadn’t been for my parents, my elder brother would’ve been sent away and perhaps killed by these people. Now you all refuse to contribute to my parents' funeral; I’m afraid my parents would’ve been angry if they knew. Aren't you worried you’ll lose face in front of your family and neighbors?!"

Mrs. You's face turned pale at this. She had two sons, one of whom had gotten married only last month after earning some money, and they planned to stay in this village for a long time. The family's primary source of income was carpeting. They mostly earned money by making furniture for houses all around the village. They could suffer direct consequences if their reputation was ruined, since there were many carpenters in the village.

Mrs. You gritted her teeth. "You are the son of the second elder. Even if we treat them as parents, they still have two children and we have already contributed to pay for one elderly person; we have already committed enough."