28

Advertisement
The Green Lotus Peasant Girl
Chapters List
Chapter 28: Autumn Harvest

The Hu family seems to still be planning on making an untold fortune from Hu Yanxi's wife's maternal family. Li Qinghe just couldn't figure out why they suddenly changed their mind about not wanting the land.

Li Qinghe spread the clothes in her hand on the bed.

Only the arms need to be sewed. I can complete it in two or three days if I work seriously.

"How can you give the same amount of dowry to both?" Mrs. Hu continued in a proud tone, "Our family's Yanxi is regarded as the most talented one on the Master's side. According to the master, if any of his students were to possess his talents, then our family's Yanxi must be it. The statement that I am making is not a fabrication. If you are not convinced, you can ask others. Even now, though our family is in a difficult situation, didn't we still keep our promise and come here to propose marriage? Why don't you step up and help us out here? When our family's Yanxi wins, then we will have a good name and reputation. As our relatives, your Li family can also get some benefits. If nothing else, you will not have to pay grain tax with the land being in Yanxi's name. This is a great benefit."

Mrs. Hu's prideful words filled Li Qinghe's ears, " With these five silver taels, you will be pre-empted from paying grain tax for the rest of your lives. Isn't that worth it?"

Mr.s Qian was surprised, "Master really said that?" She was clearly swayed by what Mrs. Hu said.

"No." Li Fu replied resolutely.

"Why not?" Mrs. Qian anxiously turned to Li Fu. "This money can be repaid someday, but others don't remember you. Why would you rely on someone who doesn't have filial duties and chokes people when they speak?"

Li Qinghe, who chokes people to death with her words, "..."

So I couldn't be relied on? However, I also did not grab Li Fu's money!

Clearly, Mrs. Qian wouldn't be able to count on her to take care of her; however, she would be filial ‌to ‌ ‌Li Fu.

Again, Li Fu was heard saying, "No way. Qinghe is the eldest sister. Whatever I give to Qinghe, I will also give to Wanwan. They are both my daughters, and I love them equally. I will never be impartial towards either."

Mrs. Qian's eyes turned red.

Mrs. Hu rose from her seat and prepared to say goodbye, "The marriage has been finalized. As for the dowry, you guys should discuss it. We naturally hope that you can help us, but if you cannot, we won't press you."

Upon hearing footsteps and hearing Mrs. Qian's words of farewell, Li Qinghe opened the door and went outside.

Li Fu also led them to the gate, and when he turned around, he saw Li Qinghe standing under the eaves, "When did you come back?"

Li Qinghe glanced at Zhao Wanwan who was brimming with shyness, "When you said you will give five teals dowry."

Indeed, Zhao Wanwan was happy. It doesn't matter whether the dowry can't be agreed upon, the marriage is set, and she can get married sooner or later.

After hearing that, Li Fu felt a little uncomfortable, "I will say the same thing in front of you again. Both you and your sister will receive the same amount of dowry. If I add more dowry to yours, then I will add for your sister as well."

Mrs. Qian was wiping tears from her eyes, leaning against the kitchen door, and struggling to keep from choking.

Li Qinghe saw her like this and smiled at Li Fu, "Father, I already have ten acres of land, so you don't need to add any more. When the time comes, the betrothal gifts which are given by the Zhou family will be taken back as a dowry. Dad should keep the remaining silver in his possession. Doesn't it make sense to expect that no person is as useful as silver?"