117

Upon hearing this, the village chief's face turned serious as he said, "There's one more thing. Yang's pond, land, and even the hillside in the village are all going to be sold. Anyone who's interested can come find me at my house."

Sold?

The crowd became curious, with those who had a good relationship with the village chief asking directly.

The village chief didn't try to hide anything from them and explained, "They borrowed money with interest from the town's gambling house to buy the hillside, promising to double it in a year. Now that something has happened to their family, the people over there have gone to the mayor and are demanding they pay back the money now. If not, they'll have to go to the county government to sort it out."

"I asked Mrs. Yang and she said they're selling the pond and land to pay it back. They're only asking for twenty taels of silver."

Ten taels for ten acres of hillside, plus the five-acre wasteland and the pond. If someone really wanted it, it could work.

But for those who weren't too interested, it seemed a bit expensive and not worth it.

Immediately someone said, "If they add the house, it will be worth it."

If they added the house, then it would be a good deal. Just one house alone would cost more than ten taels of silver.

The village chief glared at the person who spoke and said, "You're the only clever one here. There are some things you don't know. The Xu family committed a crime and all the houses and land belonging to them will be taken by the government. So anyone who wants to buy their property can go to the mayor in town."

In other words, the house where the Yang's mother and daughter currently lived was already owned by Xu Changjie and they couldn't continue living there.

"That's too expensive," someone shook their head.

Actually, it wasn't expensive. The five acres of land next to the house were already poor land with a bad harvest, but it couldn't be compared to wasteland. If someone wanted to buy the land, it was still possible.

But apart from Li Qinghe, no one in the village wanted to buy the wasteland.

So it was very likely that the land of the Yang family would end up in their hands.

After the matter was discussed, Li Qinghe took Xiyu home. Passing by Li's house, she saw that Zhao Wanwan was already there, holding a child in her arms. It was Zhao Tianfu's child, her half-brother.

Upon seeing her, Li Qinghe pushed open the door and heard her say, "Father, we just need you to help us with some work, and we'll pay you for it. We'll pay you after the autumn harvest. Based on our years of love, if you don't help us, no one in the village will. You can't just watch me and my mother go hungry, can you?"

"Pay after the autumn harvest." Li Qinghe interjected. "Doesn't that mean anyone can do it? Why do you have to ask my dad specifically?"

Hearing the voice, Zhao Wanwan turned her head and frowned slightly. "Sister, I've lived here for several years. Are you really ignoring our relationship?"

Relationship?

Li Qinghe sneered. "When you were living the good life, we couldn't even get a shred of your prosperity. Now that you've fallen on hard times and come back, must our Li family be entangled with you mother and daughter? My father has remarried and you still remain oblivious as if struck blind?"

"Our Li family has no relation with you and your mother!"

As soon as she finished speaking, she looked at the silent Liu Shi. "Aunt Liu, you should have released the dogs when you saw her. Why waste time talking to her?"