45

The next morning, Li Qinghe joined the rest to go to town again. When she walked to the door, she noticed Li Fu standing on the road with his hands behind his back, not knowing how long he had been standing there for, he appeared to be waiting for someone.

When he saw her coming over, Li Fu took two steps forward, “Qinghe.”

Li Qinghe was a little surprised and gestured to Mei Shi to go ahead first, “Father, what’s the matter?”

"Why didn't you return?" Li Fu looked serious.

Li Qinghe was stunned. The girls, who were married somewhere near, in this village didn't have to return home. Besides, they were supposed to pick her up. She seemed to have woken up too early that morning and left. Thereafter, she never heard about Mother Zhou and the others saying that someone would pick her up.

"It’s been so busy and I’m also very busy over there. Since it’s so near, I don’t see a need to return.” Seeing Li Fu's stern face, she thought for a while, "It will be the Dragon Boat Festival in a few days. I’ll definitely be back at that time." In fact, the Dragon Boat Festival was more than half a month away.

Li Fu's complexion eased a little, and then he asked, "I heard that you’re living separately. Is there any food to eat at home? There are still some ingredients in the backyard. If you don't have any, you can come home and pick them."

This was a kind intention, and Li Qinghe nodded in response, “Thank you, Father.”

Li Fu's expression was complicated, "I'm your father, there’s no need for thanks. If you build a kitchen or a house, just come back and tell me. I will help you."

What’s going on?

Li Qinghe was quite surprised. Her father used to be very cold towards her. When she used to be a helper in the town, she sometimes didn’t even get to meet him, let alone seeing him having such a worried look.

He turned his gaze to the hunted animals in her hands, feeling a little relieved, "Hurry and go, the value of these things will drop if they are left for a long time. If you have time, come back and visit."

Until she walked far away, Li Qinghe looked back and could see him still standing in place. She was actually not afraid that others would treat her badly, at most people would just be cold and indifferent towards her. Once they’re nice to her, she would not be able to control her soft heartedness.

In a blink of an eye, she saw Mei Shi waiting at the entrance of the village. Li Qinghe put away her thoughts and quickly walked over.

The two of them seemed to have gotten closer after last night, but it seemed nothing more than that.

"Was that your father just now? What did he say to you?" Mei Shi was curious.

Li Qinghe shook her head, "Nothing much. He asked me when I would go home. Maybe there was something he needed to ask from me.”

Mei Shi nodded, and asked, "Is your sister coming back? It seems that the list will be released these few days."

"I don't know." Li Qinghe didn't care much.

Hearing that, Mei Shi felt a little strange. She looked at her a few times and couldn't help but said, "I realize that you really don't care. If your brother-in-law succeeds, then you’d be the older sister of a scholar." She moved a little closer, “Didn’t they ask you for money last time?"

“Where do I have the money to lend others?” Li Qinghe waves her hand, “Let’s hurry. Else it’ll be late when we reach the town.”

"Hey, you... I’m really doing this for your own good. If your sister has any problems, you should help while you can. Otherwise, when she becomes the wife of a scholar, you won’t stand a chance to help even if you want to." Mei Shi gave a mysterious face, "They say that it is easy to add icing on the cake, but it is difficult to help a person in need. So if you want to help someone, it must be when they can remember your kindness.”