109

Li Qinghe and Zhou Chengkang didn't go to the wedding. So Mrs. Zhou went to help with the wedding in their stead, and took a wedding gift along.

Though it was Xu's family's wedding since their family still continued to communicate with the Yang, many people in the village subconsciously alienated them. Therefore, this time when a Xu family member got married, it was not as lively as compared to before.

Speaking of the Yang family's lack of morality, they took money from everyone in the village to make money for themselves. But the Xu family was not so innocent either. They took advantage of others' misery and bought such a big courtyard house just for the worth of 10 taels. Who in their right state of mind, would want to have any sort of relationship with them?

The air was turning cold as a result of the snowfall outside, so Li Qinghe and Zhou Chengkang chose not to go out at all. Mrs. Zhou didn’t live with them, but she would visit them frequently and occasionally would spend a few nights with them.

This didn’t bother Li Qinghe at all though. There wouldn’t be any shortage of food for them even if she feeds an extra person. Although she didn't know what Zhang Haiyao thought about this. Anyway, whenever Mrs. Zhou would come home for dinner, she would cater to her well and would occasionally add a few more side dishes to the table. Speaking of which, though the third brother Zhou doesn't earn much money, their lifestyle was not bad. Perhaps, because Zhang Haiyao couldn’t eat coarse grain buns, and would mostly consume fine grain buns with white porridge.

During the winter, Mrs. Zhou went back to live at the Zhou family house until the New Year.

The family had a very depressing New Year's Eve the previous year, so no matter how unhappy they were, they still made it a point to spare some time to spend the New Year together this year.

Li Qinghe went to the Zhou family house a bit too late. When she arrived she found that there were only two people in the kitchen: Mrs. Zhou and Zhang Haiyao. Logically speaking, shouldn’t eldest brother Zhou and Mei Hua have arrived at the house by noon?

Seeing her enter, Zhang Haiyao sighed, "There you are. Come and help us out quickly."

Zhang Haiyao was very straightforward, and would say anything she felt the need to be mentioned, directly. If someone spoke to her sarcastically or in a shady tone, she would get very angry.

"Elder brother and sister-in-law haven't arrived yet?" Li Qinghe was not hesitant to ask. She was accustomed to this sort of scenario. The number of times they visited in the previous years could be counted on the fingers of one hand alone.

If Mrs. Zhou didn't want to go to the town, it was okay to not take care of her. But shouldn't he have come back to take a look and check up on her?

"No." Zhang Haiyao sneered, "Maybe they were also in a situation like the fifth sister and would come back to celebrate with us later."

Those words made Mrs. Zhou glare at Zhang Haiyao with wide eyes.

Zhang Haiyao was not afraid to admit this either. She gets along well with Mrs. Zhou, which was quite different from Li Qinghe's and Mrs. Zhou's bond together. Li Qinghe doesn't talk much and usually doesn't care about what Mrs. Zhou does.

Zhang Haiyao was different. She had a stubborn temper and was always pampered at her maternal home. After she got married, third brother Zhou was also submissive towards her. She was a straightforward person and would often quarrel with Mrs. Zhou.

Sometimes, just because the food was a little saltier, the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law would have a huge fight.

Though the two quarreled with each other, neither of them would take any matters seriously. Otherwise, Mrs. Zhou would not have stayed there for two months.