[ 085 ] end of an era

𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗜𝗜 ━━ 𝗗𝗘𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗬 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗠𝗜𝗗𝗗𝗟𝗘
085. end of an era

          "𝗟𝗜𝗟𝗬! 𝗠𝗬 𝗟𝗢𝗩𝗘!" 𝗠𝗔𝗥𝗟𝗘𝗡𝗘 𝗚𝗔𝗦𝗣𝗘𝗗 𝗪𝗛𝗘𝗡 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗗 𝗙𝗨𝗟𝗟 𝗢𝗙 𝗥𝗘𝗗 𝗛𝗔𝗜𝗥 entered the Gryffindor Common Room. "Should you be back here? It has only been a week!"

"Over my dead body will I ever be missing my exams, Marls," Lily Evans tried to chuckle a little but the tears hit like a broken dam. Sorroweness peaked through the glistening areas of her damped cheeks. "Hi, Alice," she gasped when Alice threw her soft hands around her shoulder, bringing her closer. 

      Lily was hugged one by one until her ribs ached from the force of kindness and care, and at last, her eyes laid on the only set of green and silver between all the bright gold and red. Her face fell to a bigger frown when she saw Scarlet standing at the back. Lily initiated the hug this time, and realistically, Scarlet hesitated.

      Scarlet never hugged Lily before. 

In fact, in the entire time she spent at Hogwarts for the last seven years, she has only ever hugged three other people. Everest, Evan, and Sirius. It felt natural how smoothly her arms were around Lily's sobbing figure at once, and she held her tightly. 

      Sirius must have noticed how the idea of barely hugging anybody made her feel. It was on her face the moment she hugged Lily, the way her features shifted and it levelled from softness to cold to even gentler. He put a comforting hand on her lower back, and his touch made her relax even more.

"I'm sorry, Lily," Scarlet said when she pulled away, "I'm sorry about everything."

Lily held Scarlet's face in between her freezing palms, tears still falling from her bright green irises, "Thank you for sending your mum over — I could not have handled everything without her help," she sniffed a little, calming down as her breathing got steadier. "I think she scared Tuney quite a lot."

"Come here, Evans," Sirius sighed, pulling the girl into a soft hug.

      She was about to say something else when her voice got caught in her throat, and eye-line darted towards another figure behind Sirius. 

"Hi, Lils," Potter waved a little with a wry smile, one hand holding a cup of hot cocoa, "I—I brought you this — I didn't know how... I don't know what to say."