⇜Chapter 32⇝

Twelve years ago.

            The full moon seems to look twice as big as young Shiro stare at it from his chosen spot at the top of the highest mountain peak just outside of his village. Its beauty was as magnificent as he always thought it was. However, this time he can’t seem to focus on that beauty that he admires. This time, the moon somehow seems a lot colder. Its light, dimmer and sad. It was as if the moon was sympathizing with him as he reminisce something from his past. 

            “Brother. Brother.”

          Shiro looked up and saw his little sister, Ami, running towards him. He’s sitting on the steps of their humble home, fixing his slippers. He’s getting ready for his first mission as a full pledge ninja.

            “Ah Ami-chan. What is it?”, he asked, smiling at her.

            “I made you lunch, brother”, she said then happily revealed the onigiri that she’s been hiding behind her. It looked pitiful but Shiro was happy nonetheless. He smiled wider and accepted the food.

            “Thank you, Ami-chan.”           

            “Don’t forget to eat it later, okay, brother?”

          “Yes”, he replied then he put his head protector on his forehead. It bears the symbol of his village: mountains.

            “Wow! Brother, you really look like a real ninja.”

            Shiro laughed.

          “Of course. I AM a real ninja now afterall”, he said proudly. Ami giggled.

            “That’s right. Brother is a real ninja now.”

            They shared more smiles before Ami pushed him outside the door.

            “You’ll be late, brother. Hurry up and go.”

            “Ahh! You’re right!”, Shiro said then started to run out but didn’t forget to give his little sister some reminders. “Don’t stay outside too long, Ami-chan. And don’t go far from our house. Stay safe. I’ll be back before you know it. I promise.”

            “Yes. I’ll wait for you, brother. Goodluck.” Ami waived at Shiro until she couldn’t see him anymore.

          “Ahh, that mission was brutal”, says Genta, one of Shiro’s squad mates, who stretched up both his arms. The other new genin that makes up their team of trio answered.

            “Got that right. Damn, I can’t believe we were assigned to handle that kind of assignment. I mean, wasn’t that a B-rank mission? Wasn’t it, sensei?” he asked, throwing the question at their former jounin trainer.

            “There’s no need to call me sensei anymore. We’re comrades now”, the jounin answered. “And yes, it was a B-rank mission. But it’s not unusual for our village’s genins to handle B-rank missions from time to time. It’s unconventional, yes. Other larger villages will not let their genins work such difficult tasks. However, smaller villages such as ours is a different story. Often times, we don’t have a choice but to blindly send our genins to missions that normally wouldn’t be assigned to lower ranking ninjas.”

            “Blindly you say?”

            Shiro’s mates exchanged looks.