⇜Chapter 49⇝

“My name is Zero Kurosagi. Head assassin of the North Kingdom,” Zero said without tearing his eyes away from the furious Uchiha. My eyes widened in great surprise and disbelief.

            Assassin!? Then he…

            “Z-Zero? You…were you…”

            “Yes. I killed the prince’s men,” he replied. His face remained blank and rather as cold as the snow that surrounded us. I couldn’t believe it. Zero was the murderer? It couldn’t be real. I was with him all day. The Zero that I have gotten to know was a gentle man. Besides, if he was the murderer as he claimed himself to be, why did he do it? And why didn’t he kill me earlier when he got me all to himself? He had the perfect opportunity to do so. But he didn’t.

            “No,” I said and shook my head. “He can’t be…You can’t be who said you are.”

            Zero didn’t answer.

            “He already admitted his crime, Mika. Stop being so naïve,” said Sasuke who sounded like an impatient father teaching his poor little daughter a lesson. Sasuke focused on Zero next.

            “Let Mika go. Or I’ll kill you,” he ordered, never sounding as menacing as this moment. I could clearly see the seriousness in his eyes. If Zero doesn’t give up now, Sasuke might really just kill him!

            “Zero. Please…let me go,” I pleaded. “Let me go and run. Run as fast as you can and never cross Sasuke’s path again.”

            Zero finally lowered his gaze to look back at my eyes. I couldn’t read anything in them, however. I felt like I could crawl through those hazel eyes and into the depths of his soul and still understand nothing about him and his motives.  

            Zero remained silent. But I felt his hand tightened its grip at the back of my neck and he lowered his head towards mine. Without any warning, Zero claimed my lips leaving both me and Sasuke stunned!

            I was still unable to move an inch even when I felt his tongue teasing mine, giving me the same sensation and emotions as when Sasuke kissed me. I didn’t understand it at all. I thought only Sasuke could make me feel that way. Because I was in love with Sasuke and no one else. But this man, Zero…how could he make me feel all of these?   

            Zero released my lips leaving them moist with his kisses. The kiss happened for merely seconds. Funny how it felt like an hour though. And yet, it almost made me want for more.

            Zero and I locked eyes for a moment before he suddenly shifted his eyes to what, or who, was front of us and shove me aside! I fell on the snow near a tree. Next thing I knew, Zero and Sasuke’s swords clashed while the men were in mid air! I had no doubt that Sasuke charged first and that’s what caught Zero’s attention away from our shared moment.

           I was surprised when I saw Sasuke’s katana broke in two. Zero’s gigantic sword sent one of the blades flying. Sasuke usually infuses chidori with his katana which makes it almost unbreakable. However, he didn’t he do it this time and his sword broke. But Sasuke didn’t even bother to look at it. He just threw the other half away and he formed he own sword entirely made of chidori!

            Oh no! Not his chidori!

            “Sasuke!” I frantically called to get his attention. “Don’t do it! Please.”

            But my words fell on deaf ears. Sasuke charged anyway. Zero lifted his sword to block Sasuke’s attack. But I knew it was a futile attempt because the chidori will only cut it in two. And when the chidori slice through Zero’s blade, it will reach Zero himself and…

            “Nooooooooooooo!” I screamed as the two swords clashed, fearing the worst. But Zero’s sword didn’t break! It held its own against Sasuke’s chidori.

            “W-what!?”

            Lightning current flows through and around Zero’s sword, protecting it from that of Sasuke’s. Loud chirping sound was breaking the silence that surrounded us.

            “Chi-chidori? Zero has a…”

            “Did you really think that you’re the only one who’s special, Uchiha?” I heard Zero asked. Sasuke didn’t reply. But his eyes narrowed. A sign of his growing impatience. The two men fitted their strengths against each other for a minute, as if they were trying to see who’s physically stronger than the other. I took that chance to intervene between them. I gathered the snow around them infusing it with my chakra until it turned as hard as a diamond rock and sent it up in between them, like a wall, to separate the two. I knew that alone wouldn’t work, so I also simultaneously sent two pointed ice up, one towards each men, to force them to either block it or move to protect themselves.

            It worked! Sasuke and Zero both moved away from the ice and from each other. But Zero didn’t waste time attacking yet again. He raised his hand forward and fire immediately circled around his arm. It quickly turned into a fire dragon which roared loudly. It charged head first at Sasuke upon Zero’s command. Sasuke countered it with his own fire jutsu, leaving two fire elements fighting in front of us.

            “I can’t believe this. Zero and Sasuke have the same elements!” I said to myself while I watch them fight.

            Zero moved his fingers a little. It was almost unnoticeable but it was all it took for him to make his next move. Upon a few movements of his fingers, his fire dragon turned into a blue fire! It roared ever so loudly and devoured that of Sasuke’s and quickly made its way towards its enemy. Sasuke waited for the fire beast until it was within his reach. He attempted to stop it with his right hand but it was hotter than he anticipated. The dragon’s snout burned Sasuke’s palm to his surprise.

            Sasuke endured the pain and tightened his grip on the beast’s nose. He then harshly threw the beast as far and as hard as he could to protect himself. But the massive beast was only sent about a hundred feet to the right, burning each and every tree to ashes and melting snow in an instant, clearing a great amount of area.

            I was stunned! Just minutes ago I feared for Zero’s life. Now I am worried about Sasuke. And even more worried that at the end of this battle, only one of those two will remain alive.

            Sasuke looked at his injured palm. The skin was burned with some of it slouching off. Blood was dripping from it. It must have felt like acid burning flesh. Burn injury is the most excruciatingly painful wound a human could ever endure. And Sasuke, no matter how strong he is, was no different. He’s doing his best to endure the pain but I could see how much the wound was making him suffer. It seemed like the grimace would never leave his face.

            “Sasuke!” I ran towards him. I wanted to care for him and do everything I could to help ease his pain. It was heart-breaking to see him suffering. I wanted to hold him and get him away from harm. But Zero caught my arm, stopping me from reaching Sasuke’s side.

            “Zero!?”

            “You’re NOT going anywhere near him,” he ordered. He then shifted his eyes on Sasuke, making sure that the latter will hear every word he’ll utter. “From now on…you are mine.”

NOTE: I did not edit this so any grammatical error or typos would have to be forgiven. fufufu