⇜Chapter 12 ⇝

I opened my eyes when I thought I heard birds chirping. But the sun blinded me and immediately closed them again. I then slowly opened my eyes again, letting them get used to the sun’s brightness. When I finally trained my eyes, what I saw was….blue. The sky. And clouds.

                   Since when did my room have a skyroof?

                  “So you’re finally awake.”

                 I turned to where the voice came from. It’s Shikamaru. He’s standing with his hands on his waist not far from me. I looked around to see where I am. There’s no wall, no ceiling. Just a floor and….

               “Oh my God!”, I exclaimed and automatically held on to where I was lying down when I looked to my left and realized that I’m inches away from a 30 foot drop.

                    “Don’t move!”, Shika ordered then he walked to me and helped me get up slowly.

                   “What the hell! Where are we?”, I asked after I recovered a little.

                   “My favorite place.”

                   I raised an eyebrow.

                   “Your what?”

                  “My favorite place.”

               I looked around, thinking that maybe I was just dreaming earlier when I looked and saw nothing. But I wasn’t dreaming. There’s really nothing here. We are just on a roof top of some building and I was lying earlier on the edge of it.

                  “How did I get here? Did you…?”

                  He didn’t answer. He’s just looking at me. But I know he meant to say yes.

                  “Why?”, I asked, flabbergasted.

                 “It’s relaxing. I wanted you to be calm when you wake up so…”

                 “You mean gain consciousness”, I corrected him.

                 “Errr….yes. Watching clouds always makes me calm and relax so I brought you here.”

                “But why would you lay me down on the edge of this roof top? You could have laid me down in the middle of it, you know. It’s so much safer”, I said with a sarcastic tone.

                Shikamaru scratched his head.

                “Geez. Girls are really complicated. You’ve got a lot of rules.”

                “It’s not a rule. It’s just…aarrrrgggg.”

               I brought both my hands on my face. I’m really angry right now. First someone hit me on the back of my neck then I woke up lying on the edge of a 30-foot building  with nothing to prevent me from falling. And now the person who laid me there thinks I’m being complicated!?

                “Alright. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. I just thought…”

              “I know, I know. I’m sorry, too”, I said then sighed. I know he didn’t mean anything wrong. But I got really scared earlier.

              “Lay down for a minute.”

             I raised an eyebrow. I was mad at him just a minute ago because he let me wake up lying on the edge of this roof top and now he wants me to lie on it again? What is he trying to do, raise my blood pressure until I die of heart attack?

              “I didn’t mean on the edge of the roof top. You can lay anywhere you feel comfortable.”

           I looked at the hard cement under our feet. Comfortable? I looked at him with doubt in my eyes.

              “Just humor me”, he said.

              I took a deep breath and humored him. I laid on the hard roof.

              “Now close your eyes.”

              I followed his instruction.

              “Take a few deep breathes. Then slowly open your eyes.”

             I did as he told me. When I opened my eyes I saw the same blue sky and the same white clouds. But they’re not the same. I mean somehow they look….different. The sky looks bluer and the clouds looks softer. Fluffier. And they look like they’re slowly flying across the vast open sky. Now I realized Shikamaru wasn’t lying when he said that clouds move. And it wasn’t a special ninja skill that allows him to see them move ever so slowly. What surprises me even more is the feeling that it gives me. I feel so….relaxed.

             “Okay. I believe you now. I get it. This is relaxing”, I said with a smile on my face. Who knew watching clouds would be relaxing and calming.

              Shikamaru lied dow beside me and joined me in watching the clouds.

         “So, are you ready to hear me explain what really happened in there earlier?”, he asked referring to our audience with the village’s leaders.

              I looked at him for a second then answered, “yes. I’m ready. Let me hear it.”

            “First of all you should know that I wasn’t tricking you when I told you that you are Konoha’s guest. Tsunade-sama asked for my opinion of you.”

              I turned to look at him again. “And?”

             “I know with everything that happened I should be on my guard around you at all times. That I should be scared. And I should treat you as a possible threat to the village. But my instinct is telling me that I shouldn’t worry. And strangely enough, I don’t feel afraid of you. It’s like all the ninja rules that I learned from the academy doesn’t apply to you.”

             “So you convinced the Hokage to release me?”

             “Yes.”

          My heart melted. He’s got a kind heart. I have a feeling that this man and I would be good friends.

             “Thank you.”

              “What did they mean I am the one though?”

              He didn’t answer.

             “Shikamaru?”

       “I shouldn’t be the one to tell you about that. All I can tell you now is that it’s a huge responsibility, Mika. It’s a lot for a single person to take. Let alone an ordinary girl like you. But then again if you are who we think you are, then we have nothing to worry about. Because if you are the one, then you are not just an ordinary girl.”