⇜Chapter 22 ⇝

“Welcome to the Land of Light.”

            My forehead wrinkled upon seeing the so-called Land of Light. It’s a village in the middle of the forest. There are houses that seem like miniature versions of a castle because of the towers that serve as a chimney. All are made of woods. There are several small red triangular flags on top of some of the houses’ roofs with a symbol on them. The symbol of the Land of Light. Several gigantic trees were also amazingly turned into a home, complete with windows and stairs made out of strong tree branches that leads to the second floor of the tree house. The flickering lights that I saw earlier are torches. They were more impressive from afar than seeing them up close. There are quite a number of them but they are still not enough to properly illuminate the area.

            “This…is it?”, I asked while looking at the houses lining the village.

            “You seem unimpressed, miss”, says the samurai.

            “Oh no. I am impressed. The tree houses are amazing. This place is quite enchanting. But I…well, I was expecting something….different.”

            The samurai didn’t reply. He’s just looking at me.

            Oh shoot!

            “But it really is enchanting”, I added, praying that I didn’t offend him.

            “Lady, you haven’t seen enchanting yet. Wait ‘til you see the palace”, he said then lightly laughed. He sounded a little amused.

          Our group entered the village. We were greeted by a number of samurais and palace guards, all armed with swords and spears. We also saw a few leaf ninjas patrolling the village. We exchanged greetings with them. While walking, I couldn’t help but to look left and right to feast my eyes on the impressive mini-castles. The houses are not big. They are a little smaller than the average American houses but because they were designed to look like castles, they are still impressive even though they are just made of wood. I feel like I’m in a fairy tale land or something. The whole village is alive with people doing their everyday choirs, buying or selling produce and different types of fish and game meat, cleaning etc. There are rays of sun seeping through the tree branches above that provides some light, but for the most part, the whole village is lit by torches.   

            So I guess it’s called the Land of Lights because of all those torches?

            I laughed at my own thought which Sasuke noticed. He looked at me, his forehead wrinkled. I pretended to clear my throat then looked somewhere else. We’ve been walking for quite some time when I decided to ask the samurai a question. We’ve been travelling since before the sun was up this morning with hardly any breaks. My feet are killing me. I really need to sit down and rest. But I haven’t seen any indication of a palace yet.

            “Excuse me sir. How long ‘til we get to the palace?”

           “We’re not too far from the palace, miss”, he answered. He then stopped and stepped aside for me to see a trail that leads to the forest. We are at the back of the village now.

            “Are we…?”

            “Yes. This is the way to the palace. Come along.”

            Our group followed the tiny trail into the forest. We walked for about half a mile before the trail finally led us to a wider path covered with grass. It lies in the middle of a cool, clear pool, twice as wide as an olympic pool on either side. The path leads to a short stairs made of wood, which leads to a wooden door half covered with vines. What’s amazing about this place is that, the door is actually in between two magnificent waterfalls about 100 feet high. Both are alive with powerful, raging water gushing down to fill the pool below it.