⇜Chapter 1 ⇝

I breathed in and filled my lungs with air. It smelled like the sea but I didn’t mind it at all. I once again feasted my eyes of the scenery in front of me. It was a gorgeous day. The sun was not yet in its full energy but already shining bright and bathing everything in its path with light. The water was clean and blue and was looking very inviting. There were tourists, both local and foreign, everywhere. Cruise ships of medium size were docked, waiting for passengers to arrive and get in. In a few minutes, I’d be getting in on one of those and would be indulging myself with the beauty of the Japanese ocean.

            I smiled at the thought. I’ve waited so long to go and see Japan. It was like a life-long dream for me. I have always been so fascinated by the Japanese language and culture. And I have loved reading mangas and watching animes since I was a little girl. I learned my first Japanese word through watching animes and I have been obsessed with those cool guy characters in mangas. I always told myself that I want a boyfriend like them and would dream of meeting one.

            Yeah right! Like that would ever happen.

           The smile on my lips slowly faded. I’m definitely a sucker for good-looking cool guys but I just couldn’t find one.

            Well, I guess when you have a guy who’s just created by someone’s imagination as your standard then it would really be hard for guys to compete against him.

            I felt the familiar feeling of sadness.

            “Oh wake up and smell reality, Mika. You’re 18 now. You shouldn’t be having crazy thoughts and feelings over a drawing,” I quietly scolded myself.

            Oooooooooooooooooooooooonnngggggg!

            I turned my head towards the sound of ship calling for passengers. That’s my ship. I took a deep breath and smiled, ready to shake off the crazy thoughts in my head. I was finally in Japan and I would not let anything ruin this awesome experience.

            I picked up my bag and headed towards my ship. It wasn’t big but it looked beautiful from where I was. I walked up the ladder and was greeted by an attendant at the entrance. I smiled and greeted him in Japanese even though he spoke English.

             I headed straight to the upper deck so I could have the best part of the ship where I could get the best view. There were no cabins because this ship was really just meant for a few hours of trip so there was no need for one. I walked around the upper deck until a found a spot where I think I could see everything there was to see. I leaned against the chest-high railings and enjoyed the scenery. It was so beautiful. The water was so clear that I could see school of fish swimming every once in awhile. The sun gleamed like crystals on the water. The weather was also just right. It was the month of April and the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. Some were carried by the wind to the sea from the nearby docking stations. It definitely looks so magical.

            I immediately took my camera from my bag and took some pictures of the cherry blossoms swaying in the air while we were still close to land. A few more minutes and we would be far enough into the sea for those blossoms to reach us.

            I took plenty of pictures while our ship moves steadily. There were some tourists who offered to take my picture since I was traveling alone, which I was happy about. About an hour into our trip and we could see dolphins jumping from the water and swimming in small groups not far from our ship. They seemed to be our tailed bodyguards because of the way they seemed to be guiding our ship. Attendants also started going around, offering guests some snacks and refreshments. I picked a few appetizers from one of the trays the attendants were circling around and a glass of Champaign. I was enjoying my Champaign when the ship suddenly shook. It felt like a brief earthquake but it couldn’t have been an earthquake. We’re on a cruise ship. In the middle of the sea! Well, at least that’s how it seems to be.