⇜Chapter 34⇝

Tears showered the flowers that lie on the fresh dirt. A few inches from them, a wooden cross sticks on the ground and a young man was kneeling, his hands resting on the highest point of the cross, his head was down. He’d been on that position, weeping, grieving, for hours.

            “Shiro,” he heard his former sensei called his name. “Let’s go. The sun has long been gone. You’ve had quite an exhausting day. Please rest.”

            He didn’t move. He stopped weeping just minutes ago but the flowers still looked blurry in his vision.

            “Shiro.”

            No answer.

            “Shiro?”

            Still nothing. The older man sighed.

            “Alright. I understand how tough this must be for you losing the only family you have left. But please…if you need anything, anything at all…please come to me.”

            Shiro was listening but he still didn’t reply. A moment later and he heard foot steps moving away from him. He remained motionless until the foot steps were gone. Then he finally slowly sat, his weight resting on the back of his legs. However, his head remained down.

            “Beautiful night, isn’t it?” He heard a voice say. It didn’t sound familiar to him nor did he sense him come. Instinct was telling him that the new arrival was a ninja. An unfamiliar ninja. But he didn’t bother to look up.

            “A comrad of yours? Bestfriend? A family maybe?” he asked referring to the body buried in the grave. Shiro didn’t answer. But instead of losing patience, the unknown man smiled slyly as he studies Shiro’s every reaction.

            “You’re a ninja, I see. A genin perhaps?” He shifted his gaze to the full moon that’s providing them with light. His voice was gentle but Shiro couldn’t help but think that there’s something sinister about it. Nonetheless, he didn’t make a comment so the man continued.

            “It’s heart breaking losing someone dear to you, isn’t it? It feels like you died with that person, too. But perhaps that’s why a certain forbidden jutsu was created. A jutsu that can re-write the present. Make it what you want it to be.”

            Shiro automatically turned to look at the man. He clearly got Shiro’s attention.

            “What do you mean?” he asked.

            “I meant…going back in time.”

          Shiro froze for a second then nearly laughed. He would have if he wasn’t grieving. It sounded that much of a joke to him.

           “Oh no, no. Don’t be too quick to judge boy. You will be amazed at what I can do,” the man said. Shiro looked at him. He sure have never seen this man before. And he’s never seen a person with such pale skin and…snake-like eyes! His long, black hair was swaying gently with the warm summer breeze and he’s got a smile on his lips. But he still looked dangerous nonetheless. And yet, Shiro was enticed to listen.

            “What…can you do?”

            The man laughed before he answered.

            “Bring back the dead.”

      Shiro’s eyes widened. It was the most ambitiously horrifying thing someone can say and yet this man said it so confidently. As if it was the most natural answer to his question.