⇜Chapter 35⇝

Shiro lightly pulled on the rope and walked forward. Its other end was tied around the neck of a full grown tiger. He managed to make the beast follow him after about an hour of fight. The beast growled but it moved to follow him. The growling didn’t last long but it was enough to get the little boy’s attention. He’s playing alone with a couple of rocks.

            “Huh. Ah!” He heard the boy exclaimed when he saw the tiger. The boy looked so amused.

            “A giant cat!”

            The boy ran towards him and excitedly looked at the big cat left and right. He looked so innocent and rather cute with his jet black hair and big black eyes. But he knew that this little boy will grow up to be a fearsome sharingan user. 

            “Can I touch it?”

            Shiro was surprised by the sudden question. He was so engrossed by his own thoughts that the question surprised him.

          “A-ah. Sure. Go-go ahead”, he answered, stammering. The boy happily petted the beast. It growled but instead of getting scared, the boy laughed and continued to try to pet it.

       “You like cats, don’t you?” he asked although he already knew the answer. The boy nodded.

            “What’s your name?”

            The boy looked at him for a second then replied.

            “Sasuke.”

            “Sa-suke, ha.”

            Shiro stared at the little boy while he “played” with beast. He looked so small. Almost as small as Ami was.

‘Ah, Ami.’

Shiro shut his eyes tight upon remembering his little sister. He miss her terribly. He wanted her back. He wanted her back now. And this boy, Sasuke Uchiha…his eyes are going to help him get Ami back!

Shiro casually moved behind the beast and touched it just above its tail, pretending to pet it. He examined Sasuke and the beast for a minute then he found his chance to make his move. He discreetly sent a surge of minute electricity into the beast’s body, surprising it and causing it to rampage. The tiger stood on its hind legs, growled angrily and brought its massive paw on little Sasuke’s face. Shiro was expecting a bloody Sasuke to drop in front of the beast. But Sasuke disappeared from his sight and appeared just slightly to the beast’s right and gave it a kick that sent the giant cat to the ground! The tiger nearly lost consciousness. Shiro was shocked! He didn’t expect this little boy to be able to control a fight with a massive beast that easily. He surely didn’t expect him to be able to move that fast either. And to think that this boy who’s probably only about 5 years old hasn’t even started going to the ninja academy yet!

Shiro hesitated for a second. He clearly underestimated the young Uchiha successor. But there’s no turning back now. He finally had his chance to get close to Sasuke after months of waiting and preparing. Who knows when and if he’ll have another chance to get this close to him again. He has to act now!

Shiro was about to perform a jutsu using his element, lighting, to knock out and capture Sasuke when he heard someone called Sasuke’s name.

“Sasuke!” called a young lad, probably in his early teens. He ran towards Sasuke and held him tight.

“What happened?” asked the new arrival. He has black eyes and long black hair like Sasuke. He was wearing a head protector with the leaf village’s symbol. A ninja! Shiro estimated him to be a few years younger than him but he could sense great power behind those gentle eyes of his.

“I was playing with the giant cat, brother. But I guess he didn’t like me,” answered Sasuke who then proceeded to scratch his head. Itachi hugged him.

“You scared me.”

“I’m sorry, niisan.” (Oniisan or niisan means big brother)

Itachi sighed and smiled.

“It’s alright. Just be careful next time.”

“Un,” replied Sasuke and smiled.

Itachi turned to Shiro after which was enough to make him quiver.

“Ah…ano…I’m sorry! I’m very sorry,” he scrambled to say and bowed low. He then ran, leaving the beast, without hearing what Itachi had to say.

With great fear eating him inside, Shiro ran and ran into the forest until he tripped and fell face down on the grassy ground.

“It’s impossible! Just impossible!” he uttered quietly and formed a fist while still has his face planted on the ground.

“My, my. Seems like I was wrong about you.”

“Huh?” Shiro lifted his head and saw the man that he made a deal with in front of Ami’s grave a few months ago.

“You are too weak and scared to do the job afterall. What a waste of time.” He heard the man say then he turned and began to walk away.

“Wait! Wait!”

He didn’t stop. Shiro scrambled to get to his knees.

“I will get the sharingan, I promise. I will get it,” he shouted but the man didn’t bother to even look. He disappeared behind the bushes.

“I WILL get it. I will bring Ami-chan back. I will bring everyone back. Just you wait and see.”