⇜Chapter 47⇝

Sasuke met with Shikamaru at the South border as planned. He found the latter under the bushy arms of a giant tree which protected him from the harsh temperature of the night.

            “What took you so long?” Shika asked.

            “Mika,” Sasuke answered simply with a slightly irritated tone and an obvious displeased on his face. Shika’s left brow elevated.

            “I looked for her everywhere but didn’t find even a glimpse of her shadow. I thought she has been abducted by those murderers! I went through a lot of trouble combing the entire kingdom trying to find her, only to find out that she was out.”

            “Out? What do you mean out?”

            “She went outside the Snow Kingdom’s borders.”

            “What!?” exclaimed Shikamaru.

            “Hugh! That insolent woman should really learn her lesson,” said Sasuke who impatiently rubbed his palm on his mouth down to his chin.

            Shikamaru let out a heavy sigh.

            “Please have a little more patience on her, Sasuke. She’s just a girl. She’s not used to situations like this. She did not grow up training to live the life of a ninja like us. She’s probably feeling overwhelmed by all these.”

            “That’s why I said she shouldn’t come with us. She’s just a distraction.”

            “A distraction?” asked Shika while looking at Sasuke skeptically. “Her presence distracts you, Sasuke-kun?”

            Sasuke’s eyes widened a bit in surprise for a moment. He didn’t expect to hear that kind of a question. And he didn’t expect to reveal his own feelings. He himself doesn’t understand it at all and he hated the idea of anyone finding out about what’s been occupying his mind. He was careless.

            “She’s a nuisance, is what it is.”

            Shika didn’t answer. He just continued to eye Sasuke, studying him. Sasuke resolved to change the subject.

            “Did you find anything?”

            “No. Not a single clue. Those intruders are highly skilled. They left nothing of importance to our investigation.”

            Sasuke didn’t answer. But he appeared to be thinking.

            “Have you laid out the plan to all the guards at the borders?” he asked later. Shikamaru answered him with a simple nod.

            “Let’s go back to the palace then. We have to make sure that the royals are safe.”

            Meanwhile at the palace…

            “Mika!” exclaimed Ino when she found me in our chamber crying alone on my bed. “What happened?”

            I didn’t respond. I just continued to cry.

            “Sasuke left earlier to look for you. He’s the one who made you cry, wasn’t he?” she asked suspiciously.

            Ino let out a sigh when I still didn’t answer, and pulled me close to her to give me an embrace. She allowed me to cry on her shoulder while she caressed my hair, slowly soothing the forlorn feeling in my chest.