⇜Chapter 48⇝

Sasuke felt the ground trembled under his feet. Suddenly, three bombs simultaneously exploded in three different locations and, in an instant, the whole palace seemed to be bathing in fire! His eyes widened in great surprise. He cursed under breath. He had been so distracted that, for a minute, he forgot about the danger lurking around them. It was all it took for the enemies to make their move!

  Sasuke looked at the direction of the forest, contemplating whether to run after me or not. In the end, he chose to head towards where he ordered Naruto to go. He swiftly avoided the debris falling everywhere until he saw Naruto. He found his friend already in battle with a dozen men. Naruto quickly finished them off so Sasuke didn’t have to lift a finger.

“Did you find out anything useful?” he asked the blonde boy. Naruto just shook his head in response.

 “Let’s split. We have to find their leader fast,” he suggested then him and Naruto left.

Meanwhile, the doors of the locked room where the king and queen were hidden and guarded heavily by the palace guards burst open. The royals’ eyes widened in great surprise and fear as they stared at the two high ranking member of the prince’s military force that were just outside the door. They both stood with their backs to the couple, bleeding from deep stab wounds. The king and queen could see the tip of the sword sticking out of their bodies. When they sword retracted, the bodies slowly fell to the ground and revealed two assassins from another country looking directly at them. Queen Hera couldn’t help but notice the blood seeping out of the lifeless bodies and quickly making a bloody mess of a pool. She wanted to remain calm and in control. But when one of the enemies smiled slyly at her, a faint gasp escaped from her mouth.

“What do you want? Jewels? Gold? The crown? Take what you want and leave,” said King Ikeda who managed to still sound authoritative.

“Oh we WILL take what we want. But we are not leaving,” answered one of the assassins who then laughed like a demon amused by his own game. His comrade suddenly ran towards the royals, ready to strike their hearts with his blade. Queen Hera screamed in terror while her husband didn’t know what to do. He knew how to use a sword but he was mediocre at sword fighting at best.

The assassin raised his hand and struck his sword at the frightened royals. But his blade was blocked inches from the king’s face by another blade. A kunai! The assassin’s eye shifted from the king to the one who blocked his attack. Sasuke.

The assassin smiled slyly yet again. He then pulled his sword, jumped back and attacked Sasuke. Sasuke engaged him in battle. The enemy was quite skilled at fighting but Sasuke’s no novice at it either. The enemies could tell that they weren’t dealing with an ordinary fighter. So the other assassin joined in the fight. However, no matter good they were, they couldn’t keep up with Sasuke’s speed. Both were on the ground without Sasuke breaking a sweat. He grabbed one of them by the collar.

“What are you after?” asked Sasuke.

“You’re not getting any information from me. Kill me. Torture me. I’m not afraid of either. My lips will remain sealed,” he answered. Sasuke’s eyes squinted. He’s getting impatient.

 “They’re from the North. They said they are taking something they want. But they will not leave,” informed the king.

Sasuke’s eyes caught the symbol at the assassin’s chest: a shield with a dragon covering almost its entirety. He was not familiar with the symbol or the country in the North. But he’s got a bad feeling about it. He knew torture wouldn’t work on someone like this man. He’s an assassin. Someone who’s prepared to die for whomever his master was. Someone who was trained to endure any form of physical and mental torture to preserve his loyalty. His scars tell it all.