⇜Chapter 56⇝

“Are you sure this is where you saw the person wearing an Akatsuki cloak?” Sasuke asked after he combed the area around the spot where I told him I saw a supposed Akatsuki member watching. He found no indication, however, that someone was there recently.

            I nodded in response although I was already starting to doubt what I saw.

            “Actually, I…I wasn’t really sure if it was an Akatsuki cloak,” I said, fidgeting. “I…wasn’t sure of what I saw at all,” I added then lowered my head while I play with my fingers. I could feel my face getting warm. It was hard not to when someone like Sasuke Uchiha was the one who investigated what I was supposedly saw. And yet he found not a single clue. How could I not doubt my own eyes?  

             “I’m sorry,” I said when I heard nothing from him. I knew he was watching me. He was probably thinking that I wasted his time but chose not to voice it out to save me from feeling even more embarrassed.

            “It’s alright,” he answered. Then he offered me his hand. With cheeks still flushed, I accepted his hand. Sasuke started to walk back towards where our friends were waiting and I felt a gentle tag as I was gently dragged along with him. But I took one quick look at the trees and bushes behind us before I let myself be led by Sasuke back to where our camp was.

            “What took you two so long?” asked Naruto, in an obvious complaining tone. He had both his arms crossed behind his head and his lips looked fuller while he displayed a childish pout. He was facing slightly to his left but his eyes were concentrated on us.

            “Yiiii. They were probably being all lovey-dovey with each other and took their time kissing,” teased Ino. Her grin was as wide as a clown’s.

            Both Sasuke and I blushed but he was better at hiding it.

            “Oh my gosh!” exclaimed Ino.

            “What?” Sasuke asked with an irritated tone and a raised eyebrow.

            “I was right, wasn’t I? You two kissed!” Ino announced her eyes wide and beaming with excitement.

            “Shut up,” snapped Sasuke. His forehead was wrinkled but his face was flushed and he immediately turned his head to try to hide it. Everyone laughed at his expense and again, I couldn’t blame them. Sasuke always look awkwardly funny when he’s feeling embarrassed.

            “We should go. Is everyone ready?” he asked in the middle of everyone’s loud laughter. I was sure that he purposely did it to escape the embarrassing situation. But with Naruto with us it was hard to stop everyone from laughing. Unless he stop laughing, it was almost impossible for people to stop laughing either. And Sasuke was very well aware of it. So he took action. Sasuke smacked Naruto in the head sending the blonde boy face flat on the ground.

            “Aww! What’dya do that for?” Naruto complained while he rubbed his bruised cheeks.

            “You are annoying. You deserve it,” Sasuke complained back. He had his arms crossed in front of his chest.

            “I am not! You’re the one who’s annoying,” yelled Naruto looking like he was imitating an angry tiger. Then he crossed his legs while he sat with his arms crossed in front of his chest and his body turned to the side so that he was facing away from Sasuke. “You were blushing so much, you looked so gay. I can’t believe Mika-chan fell for you.”

            “What!? Take that back, you knucklehead!” Sasuke yelled sounding flabbergasted and obviously irritated. It was like watching a volcano explode or witnessing his head turn into a dragon’s.

We all knew what would happen next and we were right. It didn’t take another second before the two were at each other’s throats. Ino and I rolled our eyes while Shika, for the love of all things holy, yawned, sat down with his back against a tree, and decided to take a nap! It was obvious that he wanted nothing to do with Naruto and Sasuke’s fight. It was up to me and Ino to stop the two boys.

Letting out a deep sigh, I decided to do the job.

“Sasuke. Naruto,” I called. But none of them stop to look. They didn’t even seem to hear me. It was getting annoying and I wanted them to quit the childish fight.

“SASUKE! NARUTO!” I repeated their names, this time with a louder, angrier voice. Both boys paused and stood where they were like a statue upon hearing their names. Their heads ever so slowly turned to see my eyes burning in controlled anger.

“Stop with the freaking childish fights already. It’s annoying,” I yelled making them both cringed. I sighed, trying to calm myself while I hear Ino laughing silently beside me.

“We should go. We’ve made Gaara-san wait for us far too long already,” I said sounding a lot calmer.

Naruto, who already recovered from the momentary scare, nodded. His smile reflected his eagerness to meet Gaara.

“Shikamaru,” I called my guardian, waking him up from his nap.

“Huh?” he absent-mindedly blurted. He stretched both arms up and gave his biggest yawn yet when he realized that everyone was ready to leave.

“Let’s go,” ordered Sasuke, who immediately jumped up the nearest tree. We all followed, all excited to meet Konaha’s twelve’s friends from the Sand Village.