⇜Chapter 39⇝

“You asked for me?” Prince Hiro inquired when he finally stood in front of his father and mother. He was awoken too early this morning by Sera. He was told that the king and queen asked for his presence in the breakfast hall immediately. He knew he would get a sermon but he also knew not to push his father’s patience too hard so he obliged.

            “Where were you all day yesterday?” queen Hera asked. She sat ever so regally on a beautifully hand crafted chair, while her husband sat on another.

            “Didn’t Sera tell you?”

            “Oh yes she did. But apparently even your best friend didn’t know where exactly you went for hunting,” queen Hera replied. She sat her cup of tea down on the breakfast table that’s situated in between her and the king. “Now, would you mind telling your mother, the queen, were her son was all day while she was accommodating your bride?”

            Hiro clenched his jaw upon hearing about his unwanted bride.

            “Answer your mother, Hiro,” demanded king Ikeda.

            Hiro took a deep breath to help lessen his irritation then replied.

            “I was at the south border of our kingdom. I was informed by one of my soldiers of a small herd of beasts grazing at what little pasture left. I went to secure the herd into our territory.”

            The king and queen didn’t respond right away. They just studied Hiro for a moment, contemplating how much truth there was in his words, before king Ikeda broke the momentary silence.

            “Very well. Would you tell me about the herd? Were you able to secure them?”

            “Yes, My Lord.”

            “How many were they?”

            “Less than a dozen, father. Mostly males. One seemed like a newborn.”

            King Ikeda nodded. He looked a bit worried.

            “How many females exactly?”

            “Three.”

            King Ikeda sighed.

            “First herd our soldiers spotted in weeks and it was that small. And to make it worse, there are only three female beasts.”

            Queen Hera reached out and gently rubbed her husband’s knee to comfort him. 

            “And the newborn?”

            “It looked healthy enough. I ordered my men to build a home for them. That’s why it took me long to come home. I wanted to make sure that the herd will have a roof to protect them from the cold wind. Especially the little one.”

             “Good. That’s very good, son.”

            “Thank you, father.” Prince Hiro bowed to the king.

            “By the way father, who was that lady with brown hair?...big brown eyes, tiny waist…perfectly red lips,” he inquired, a mischievous smile slowly forming while he was describing me from his memory.

            “Prince Hiro!” scolded Hera. She felt it quite scandalous of her son to describe a woman the way he did. Especially when he was already engaged to marry another. King Ikeda answered.

            “That’s Mika. She was with the ninjas of the Leaf Village who escorted princess Misuko and her sister here. Although she wasn’t even a ninja,” Ikeda said, still with a hint of distaste towards the idea of me escorting his soon-to-be daughter-in-law.

            “Mika ha.”

          “You are NOT to touch her or go anywhere near her. Do you understand?”

            Hiro didn’t reply and just look at the king.

            “Hiro! You are the prince of the Land of Snow. My only heir. You have an obligation…”

            “I know!” he cut the king’s words. He’s heard those a hundred times before anyway. “I know.”

            Queen Hera rose from her seat and walked towards Hiro. She touched his face and gently turned his head so he’s facing her.

            “My son. You understand why this marriage has to happen, don’t you?” she asked with gentleness in her voice. Hiro gave a sigh and then nodded.

            “Don’t worry, mother. I know what I have to do.”

            Hera smiled lovingly at him.   

            “May I go now?”

            She nodded.

         Hiro bowed to her as well as the king before he turned his back and walked towards the grand French door. A footman opened them and bowed to the prince.

            “Don’t leave the palace today, dearest. I intend for you to meet princess Misuko today.” He heard queen Hera say before the door closed behind him. He grunted upon hearing his mother’s term of endearment for him. It sounded so feminine and childish.

          “Oh I will meet the princess and marry her the day after tomorrow, mother. Just like I promised. But I also intend to enjoy myself in the mean time,” he said with a naughty smile and headed to the west wing where we first met.

            Meanwhile, at the south border of the kingdom, the palace soldiers lay lifeless on the ground—their blood staining the snow red.

         “Take every beast back to our kingdom and offer them to the king,” ordered the man leading the group of assassins. Three of his men obeyed his orders and started to guide the herd out of the territory of the Land of Snow. He then motioned for the rest to follow him. They moved slowly, carefully but with confidence in every step towards the palace.