⇜Chapter 40⇝

After contemplating for hours, I finally got the courage to look for Sasuke so I could talk to him. I probably almost have gone to the entire west wing looking for him with no luck before I decided to check the garden. I saw him sitting on one of the benches made entirely of natural rocks situated under a beautiful white pergola. Naruto and Shikamaru were with him. It seemed like they were having fun exchanging silly stories. I walked closer to them. I could see Sasuke just smiling while the other men were laughing like idiots. I took a deep breath to ease my growing nervousness before I walked closer to them. All of them stopped laughing when they noticed me standing just outside the pergola.

            “Ahm…Sasuke, can we please talk?”

         Nobody said a word. They were just looking at me. Naruto and Shikamaru for sure smelled something fishy going on but didn’t say a word about it.

            “We’ll head back inside,” said Shika who then pulled Naruto away with him. I was left alone with Sasuke.

            “Ano…about last night…”I gulped. My nervousness suddenly doubled as soon as I started to speak. And yet he’s still not saying a thing. He was just looking at me, expressionless. His cold stare piercing through me like a sharp knife would a flesh.

            “I just…I want to make it clear that I…didn’t kiss the prince.”

        Silence. For a moment that seemed like forever, all I could do was wait for him to say something, anything. Or at least let me see some expression on his face. But there was nothing. I sighed.

            “Sasuke…do you believe me?”

            “You liked it.”

            “Huh?”

            “His kiss. You liked it.”

            I was speechless for a moment. He’s accusing me again. I admit he’s right. I did like it. But it didn’t mean that I liked the prince and I needed him to understand that. However—as much as I wanted him to realize that it meant nothing to me—I couldn’t lie to him so I slowly nodded and lowered my gaze.

            Sasuke gave a mocking smile.

            “What kind of a woman are you?”

            My lips parted but no word came out.

            “He’s marrying Misuko in two days. If you want a man so desperately at least find someone who’s unattached,” he said with a hint of anger in his voice. He stood up after and slid his right hand in his pocket. His eyes never left me all the while.

            “It didn’t mean anything, I swear,” I uttered, my eyes pleading for him to believe me. But he remained as icy as ever. Sasuke started to move towards me. I knew he intended to leave me so I felt the urgency to ask him about the other thing that I wanted him to explain.

            “Sasuke, about the kiss…”

         Sasuke didn’t stop. So I grabbed his arm when he was about to walk pass me.

            “I meant the one between us.”

            Sasuke turned his head to look at me.  

            “Forget about it. It was a mistake,” he said, then pulled his arm from my grasp and left. My mouth fell open in disbelief. It was the last thing I expected him to say. A mistake? That’s what it was to him?

            If kissing me was a mistake…then what am I to you exactly?

            My tears fell freely down my cheeks. I couldn’t believe just how foolish I have become over someone like Sasuke Uchiha. Allowing myself to be completely vulnerable while I inquired about his feelings for me was utterly foolish. Foolish because of the mere fact that it was the cold, stoic, seemingly heartless and uncapable of showing affection, Sasuke Uchiha, that I was inquiring to.

            “Why the tears?” asked a man’s voice. I lifted my head and found a handsome man, probably not much older than I was, standing in front of me. His left arm was slightly leaning against one of the post of the pergola. I didn’t notice him come closer—probably because I wasn’t paying attention to my surroundings and the thick layer of snow could have easily cushioned his feet, eliminating the sound that they would have made with each step.

            I shook my head in response and dried my tears with the back of my hand. To my surprise, he came closer to me and helped me wipe my tears with his own hand. I stared at him not knowing what to do or what to say. He used his thumb to wipe the last tear off my face, sliding it down until it reached my chin. It rested there for a second before I felt it lightly touched my lower lip. The gesture made me remember prince Hiro and what he did last night, so I instinctively slap his hand and stepped back. The last thing I needed was another unwanted kiss from yet another man.

        “Don’t worry I wasn’t about to kiss you,” he said with an amused smile, his hazel eyes squinting. I wasn’t sure if he was telling the truth but I still felt embarrassed. I felt my cheeks blushed which seemed to made him even more amused.

            “I’m sorry,” I managed to say.

            “It’s okay. I guess I deserved it for touching your lip without your permission.”

            I lowered my gaze. I didn’t know what to say so I just waited for him to speak or maybe leave. I was hoping it would be the latter though. I didn’t feel at ease with him. It was almost like how I feel around Sasuke.

            “May I know your name?”

            “Mika,” I replied.

            “Mika. It’s a beautiful name. It suits you well.”

            I blushed again. I tried to speak normally but failed.

            “T—thank you.”

            He smiled.

           “I better go,” he said later and unconsciously brushed his spiky black hair with the fingers of his right hand. “I hope this wouldn’t be the last time I see you, Mika.”

          Not knowing what to say, I gave him a shy smile. He turned around and started walking deeper into the vast snow-covered garden. With his back facing me, I couldn’t help but notice how huge his sword was that was clinging to his back. He had broad shoulders and well-built muscles but the sword still almost covered his torso.

         “Mika.” I heard Ino call. I saw her standing at the door waving at me. Before I navigated the distance between me and Ino, I took one last look at where the stranger was but found him already gone.

                                                                               *************

I made the video at the right. It's LIHW's new theme. Hope you like it.