⇜Chapter 55⇝

NOTE: I did not edit this chapter so please forgive all the mistakes.

       Our group was ready to leave the palace before the sun was up. We were bid farewell by Princess Kanako and Princess Misuko, as well as Zero. Sasuke’s face soured when Zero hugged me. He even pulled me to him, breaking Zero and mine’s embrace. He hid me behind his back as if Zero was going to kidnap me and nearly punched Zero when I hugged Zero back.

            “We were just saying goodbye, Sasuke,” I reminded him. But Sasuke just crossed his arms in front of his chest and scowled. I sighed at how jealous he was while our friends were trying not to burst into a loud laugher. 

            “If things don’t work out or if…I mean WHEN you realize that you made a mistake choosing that brat, please know that I’ll be waiting for you,” Zero told me before our group headed out. He didn’t bother to hide his distaste of Sasuke, merely referring to the latter as ‘that brat’. Sasuke gritted his teeth and his fists balled upon hearing the insult as anyone of us would have expected. So I purposely snaked my left arm around his to calm him down. We were able to leave without seeing a drop of blood much to my relief.

            “Did you see his face? Did you guys see it? He…he looks…like an over-ripe tomato,” Naruto said having a hard time getting his words out, then burst out in another laughter. He grabbed his stomach and bent forward on his waist, looking like he was about to lose his breath any minute from laughing too much.

             Ino and Shikamaru tried to keep their mouth shut while holding in their own laughter but were barely doing it with success. I could still hear silent laughing no matter how much they try not to join Naruto’s infectious ones. I couldn’t blame them. I was in the same state every time Naruto opened his mouth, looking all silly while he made fun of Sasuke.

            Needless to say Sasuke was the only one who wasn’t amused. It was actually quite amazing, now that I think about it, how the hot-blooded Uchiha was able to keep himself from burning Naruto with his fireball jutsu for that long. His forehead was wrinkled in an obvious display of growing anger the entire time, however, and it seemed like he was really about to explode like an angry volcano any moment now. So I decided to be nice to him and ask Naruto to stop. Well, it was more like being nice to ourselves knowing very well how scary an angry Sasuke Uchiha could be.   

            “Eherm,” I cleared my throat to get Naruto’s attention. Thankfully Naruto noticed. “Ah-mm,” muttered while I shook my head to tell him to stop. But of course the ever so brilliant Naruto Uzumaki didn’t understand it.

            “Huh?” he asked, tilting his head to the side.

            “She meant knock it off,” Shika told him in a low voice then discreetly nodded at Sasuke’s direction. Naruto followed where Shika pointed him to look.

            “Ngiiii!” he muttered with his mouth circling in the shape of a squished squash and his arms thrown in the air. He immediately went behind me to try to hide from the raven-haired teen. I moved closer to Sasuke so that we were next to each other while walking.

            “You okay?” I asked Sasuke. He didn’t answer. I knew I better calm him down before he makes our journey more difficult than it should be.

            “Naruto was just being Naruto. You know him. He’s just…silly. He didn’t really mean to make fun of you,” I tried to explain but he remained silent.

            “Sasuke?”

            “You were laughing, too,” he said accusingly looking kind of hurt. He actually look cute but I knew not to be all googly eyed about it given his current mood.