⇜Chapter 18 ⇝

My body slammed onto the hard ground and I bounced up and back down on impact. I couldn’t avoid not eating some of the dirt that flew from the ground around my face. I spit out the dirt and saw blood came out of my mouth as well. I cursed under my breath. For the last two weeks I have been training with Kakashi and Shikamaru from dusk until dawn. And I mean real training, not the regular stretching that I used to hate. I have actually begun to like stretching because, well, the real training is hell! Stretching is way easier. I still do it every day but not with my two sensei. Kakashi said that I should be ready to battle as soon as my foot touches the training ground. That means that I should already have done my stretching even before I reach the training ground. Which also means that I should be up before anyone else in the village is to prepare for the day’s torture….I mean training.

            “Get up”, I heard Kakashi say. I didn’t move. I want to but I can’t. My body hurts so bad. That last move that Kakashi did was merciless. I think I might have broken a rib again.

            “I said get up”, I heard him say again before I sensed him charging towards me. I instantly turned my body to move to my right. As soon as I move, a long, circular chakra stabbed the ground, inches away from my face. It even caught the sleeve of my shirt and I had to purposely rip it off so that I can dodge another attack from Kakashi. This is one of those attacks that make me glad that Kakashi trained me to gain speed first before he and Shikamaru started training me in battle tactics. I don’t know how he did it or if he used some type of jutsu or something, but in a week that he trained me, I have improved my physical strength and speed so much so that I am able to dodge his attacks now. Well, most of his attacks.

            I jumped high to dodge a fire ball jutsu, took some kunai knives from my holster and threw them all of Kakashi as soon as my feet touched the ground. I immediately jumped up again towards where Kakashi is and fired my own fire ball at him. I saw one of them hit Kakashi as soon as I landed on the water. Kakashi turned into a smoke with a puff which made me realize that it was a clone.

            Oh no!

            The sudden nervousness made me lose my concentration a little so I slowly sank into the water. I immediately took control of my chakra to prevent myself from sinking. But that few seconds of distraction was more than enough for Kakashi to launch another attack at me. A set of kunai knives was sent flying towards me. I took two of my own and used them to block those knives. But as soon as my kunai hit the last of Kakashi’s, the water in front of me fired up and formed a dragon. It’s huge and ready for battle! It didn’t waste a second. It threw itself head first towards me, ready to devour me. I know I can’t possibly counter attack it. This level of jutsu is too high for a mere beginner to handle. So instinct and logic is telling me that I have to dodge it. I tried to jump but I couldn’t move. That’s when I realized that Shikamaru has caught me with his shadow technique. I looked behind me and saw him with his hands together in front of his face, forming a seal for his jutsu.

            “You should never forget all of your opponents and always be aware of their position in the battle field”, Shika said.

            I turned to face the water dragon and realized that it’s only about two feet away from my face. The fear of it engulfing my body and drowning me gave me a burst of heightened fear and a sense of urgency to protect myself. Without me thinking, I raised my hand to cover my face and shouted,

            “Stop!”

            I knew that wouldn’t stop Kakashi. Knowing him, he would go ahead and let his water dragon devour me anyway just so I could learn my lesson. But that’s just the thing. It never did!