⇜Chapter 45⇝

The black beast sped through the vast forest until we saw a fence up ahead made of tree trunks and barbed wire. It was about six foot high and had no opening for us to pass through.

            “Ahm, Zero,” I said sounding worried while trying to get his attention when the stallion didn’t slow down.

            “Relax. We’re fine,” he answered. He kicked his horse and it sped up even more. I felt like we were headed towards death but I trust that Zero wouldn’t let me get hurt. So I braced myself as we quickly neared the fence. I gasped and held on to his arm tight when the beast jumped so high that it felt like we were flying for a moment. Its feet landed safely on the ground that was noticeably covered with less snow. From there, the landscape began to change. Snow turned to grass and the bare trees were replaced with ones covered in greens. It was like witnessing winter turn to spring. Zero let the beast ran further and further until even the temperature was getting warmer. He finally halted the stallion to a stop on top of a hill covered with grass and wild flowers.

            “We’re here,” he said then he got down from the huge horse. He helped me get down and then let the beast graze nearby. Zero stood next to me.

            “You like it?” he asked when he noticed me looking admiringly at the vast green field below the hill. It went as far as the eye could see.

            Not tearing my sight away from the scenery, I nodded to him in response and smiled.

            “It’s beautiful.”

            “Definitely better than snow, isn’t it?”

            I nodded again.

            “So, you’ve never ridden a horse before, huh?” he asked and sat down on the grass. I sat next to him and enjoyed the light breeze.

            “No. It was my first time.”

            “Yeah, I could tell you were nervous.”

            I laughed lightly.

            “Would you like to learn?”

            I turned my head to look at him and found him looking at me.

            “What?”

            “To ride a horse. Would you like to try?”

            “Ahm…I—I don’t know,” I answered and glanced at the huge stallion.

            “Come on, I’ll teach you,” Zero offered. He stood up and offered his hand to me. My gaze shifted between his face and his hand for a moment, contemplating whether it was a good idea for me to try to manipulate a horse. The idea was a little scary but looking at Zero made it better. So I accepted his hand and allowed him to help me stand up. He lifted me on to the horse. I expected him to guide the beast while giving me instructions but he went up on it as well. Zero took the rope that was attached to its nose band. He then took my hand and placed the rope on it.

            “Hold it tight,” he instructed. He patiently gave me more instructions, letting me try them out so I could see what each would make the beast do. I tried my best to concentrate even though I was feeling a little conscious with him guiding my hand and putting his hand on my shoulders while he corrected my posture. It didn’t seem to affect him in any way though so I felt kind of stupid feeling the way I was.

            “Mika?”

            “Huh?” I exclaimed in surprise. I didn’t notice that my mind was drifting in thoughts of how close he was to me.