⇜Chapter 53⇝

“So what now?” asked Ino after a long silence. We were all gathered at the room that Ino and I were sharing. I was sitting on my bed with my feet touching the wooden floor while she was sitting on hers. We all went straight to this room after we left the royals and their guards in the forest about half an hour ago. Nobody had said a word since we entered the fire-lit room until Ino asked that question.

            “Sasuke?” I turned to him, letting him make the decision.

            The raven-haired young man, who was leaning against the door with his arms crossed in front of his chest and his right leg crossed in front of the other, took a moment before he replied. As if he was contemplating for a second.

            “We leave in morning,” he answered decidedly.

            “Do we really have that option, Sasuke?” asked Shika who was lying in my bed behind me. He was using his own arms as pillow and looking straight at the ceiling even when he asked his question. “After what Mika did do you really think the royals will let us stay for the night?”

            “I’ll MAKE them agree to let us stay. After what that prince did to Mika the least they could do is give us a roof over our head tonight,” Sasuke replied with a hint of arrogance and annoyance due to the thought of the man who dared kiss his girl.

            “And you’re okay with that?” asked Ino.

            “What do you mean?”

            “Are you really okay to let Mika stay under the same roof with the man who kissed Mika?”

            Sasuke’s forehead wrinkled. It was obvious how that fact affected him.

            “He won’t be able to get anywhere near her. I’ll make sure of it.”

            “That won’t be necessary,” I butted in. “We can just all leave now.”

            “If we leave now we wouldn’t make it outside the Land of Snow before we have to rest for the night. We would be sleeping with the snow surrounding us,” said Ino who obviously didn’t like the idea of braving the freezing temperature. I couldn’t blame her. The soft bed of the warm quarter of the palace would surely be a lot more comfortable to sleep in than the hard, freezing forest ground. But I felt really awkward staying in the palace knowing that Sasuke and Prince Hiro could kill each other at any moment.

            Our thoughts were disrupted by a soft knock on the door. Sasuke was the one who opened it since he was the closest. He found Princess Misuko standing in front of him.

            “May I come in?” she asked in low voice which she rarely uses.

            Sasuke stepped aside to give her a way instead of speaking. The young princess walked in with grace and elegance of a noble lady, something that she rarely displayed as well. She stopped in the middle of the room, about an arm’s length from the beds. She stood ever so lovely in front of us all while Sasuke stood next to her. Looking at her next to him made me realize how good they look together. It made me question why Sasuke chose me over a princess as beautiful as she. I didn’t want to admit it, but I felt the fang of insecurity digging itself deep in me. 

            “I figured you all plan on leaving the kingdom?” Misuko started. Nobody answered so she continued. “I realize how…awkward it might be for all of you,” she shifted her gaze to me to address me for a second. ”Especially for you and Sasuke-kun. But you have no need to worry. I have spoken with the king and queen and asked for their permission to let you stay for the night.”