⇜Chapter 50⇝

“Ze-ro?” I uttered his name in an obvious disbelief. My eyes reflected the uncertainty of what was going on. Of what just happened.

            “You heard me,” Zero said. “From now on, you’re mine. You will be my queen.”

            “Queen? What do you mean? Zero, I…I don’t understand.”

            “He plans to take over the kingdom, Mika,” I heard Sasuke answered my question.

            “Take over? Why would he do that?” I asked, giving my attention to Sasuke this time.

            “For some reason he believes himself to be the rightful ruler.”

            “What!?”

            My eyes shifted a few times between the men. I wanted to know if everything I heard was true. I wanted to understand why all of these were happening. And I wanted so desperately to know which words I could trust. Was Zero really telling the truth? Was he really an assassin? And did he really want to take over the kingdom like Sasuke said? Even if Zero was an assassin, it didn’t mean that he intend to take the throne from the king, right? However, I didn’t see a reason for Sasuke to lie. Even so, somehow, I couldn’t seem to find it in me to believe that Zero planned to do such evil. No! That simply wasn’t the Zero I knew.   

            “That’s absurd,” I uttered, almost flabbergasted by the idea of it.

            “Is it?” Sasuke asked. He’s panting. Probably because of the pain that his injury was still causing him. “How long have you known that man, Mika? One day? Two days? Three? Even if you’ve met him the moment our feet stepped on ice…do you really truly believe that it was enough time for you to realize who he really is?”

            I fell silent. I took in every word he uttered and tried so much to understand them. I needed to realize which was real and which was a mere lie. Everything Sasuke said seemed to make perfect sense.

            I looked at Zero. He wasn’t denying anything. He was just standing there, listening.

            Did he really plan all this? Is Zero truly who Sasuke said he is?

            At that moment the memory of our time together outside the kingdom came to me. I remembered how gentle he was. How he seemed to really enjoyed being with me. And I remembered how he wiped my tears away on our first meeting. And I just couldn’t let myself believe that Zero was the man Sasuke said he was.

            “I’m sorry, Sasuke. But…I believe in Zero. He wouldn’t hurt me. I just…can’t believe that.”

            “STOP IT, MIKA!!!” Sasuke yelled, grinding his teeth in anger. “Stop being so DAMN naïve!”

            “I am not! Zero wouldn’t hurt me.”

            “How do you know that? Huh?”

            “Because if he intend to he would have already done it.”

            “What do you mean? What are you saying?”

            “I was with him all day today…Alone. And look…I’m still here, aint I? I came back unharmed.”

            “You were with him!? He took you outside the kingdom’s borders?”

            I nodded. Sasuke’s eyes narrowed and his forehead wrinkled.

            “You, woman, have completely lost your mind.”